Wednesday, September 01, 2004

chimera

Today’s fear: Chimera

Stem cell research is something I support. Inserting human stem cells into mice or monkeys (really, really bad) or other mammals, on the other hand, is a bit too much for me.

While the scientist conducting such research claim that the mammals never leave an embryonic stage I’m not sure how strictly they apply this little rule. Keep in mind that I’m not too fond of overseas science practices. I hate setting limits but people are fucking crazy and need rules. What happens when might mouse escapes and breeds? Doom. Doom. Doom. There are some things that sound awesome in concept but should not be carried out.

So why would scientist be creating chimera? Scientists create chimera or desire to do so because it’s illegal to have a clone for use of parts—or it will be as soon as they try to do so. As an embryo, sheep, mice, and swine and maybe others can be injected with human stem cells. The idea is to figure out a way to grow specific cells or even organs in another mammal. By using the patients own cells, the new specific cells grown in the host would essentially be exact to the patients cells.—I’m having a hard time making that sentence clear. Just think about how closely we are related to other mammals. Hell, we share 2/3 or our genetic make up with drosophila melanogaster (fruit flies, sorry I’m a geek)—enough of a similarity to use them in cancer research (their life spans are short, making them an ideal subject for studies).

So I’m not really against this because it has potential for curing diseases such as parkinsons, liver disease, heart disease and so forth. I’m just worried about the control measures—especially because this research is being done overseas and not here in the US. Not that we are any less crazy than any other country. I’d just feel safer with it being done here.

Maybe we could ensure that any animal with human genetic material should be made infertile. I can’t help but seeing visions of Jurassic park and how the “we only have females” idea didn’t work. Then again, I’m not exactly afraid of mice or sheep even if they did contain genetic material. So long as it isn’t primates.

Once again, I’ve begun to contradict myself. Sometimes when I really get into something I don’t like the idea of, I begin to like it and try and find ways to support it as something positive.

did i mention that by prolonging lives, we are adding to the population problem? another blog for another day.

22 Comments:

Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

I want my flying monkeys! Smart flying monkeys!

1:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you WANT flying monkeys. everything about flying monkeys, let alone smarter monkeys, sounds like a bad idea to me.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

It's a wizard of Oz refrence. Or I could go with Flash Gordon and look for the bird men. Flash Ahaaaa! He'll save every one of us.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Shy said...

reference to wizard of oz or not, flying monkeys sound like an aweful idea. it wreaks of DOOM.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

But they are monkeys with wings on. Thing of the poo flinging powers.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Shy said...

poo slinging super monkeys. nope. still not liking the idea.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Think Mojo Jojo

2:04 AM  
Blogger Shy said...

yes, think Mojo jojo. it smells of not good.
DOOM. though it would be cool to have powerpuff girls equiv. to try an defeat him on a daily basis....
lots of destruction.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

And flying monkeys. Destruction adn flying monkeys.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Shy said...

flying monkeys and destruction. now that would give our military something to do.

what about even smarter cats. cats that would use the toilet and flush or cats that would...well that's the only thing i wish my cat would do. growing up, i had one that used the toilet. it was nice.

11:04 PM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

NO! We cant make the cat's any smarter. They will kill us all.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Shy said...

i think we would be safe. cats would kill all the right people.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

You think it would be safer? are you crazy. Have you never seen the inner evil in the eyes of a cat. I knoiw even now they are secretly plotting our DOOM!

3:11 AM  
Blogger Shy said...

i've never seen the look of death directed at me...at least not for a long period of time...frontline leaves a residue on the furr for a few days and doens't make kitty happy.
i think that cats know that they own us. Monkeys would have to fight to prove they own us...because they don't. that would lead to much violence and problems i woudln't want to deal with. that and monkeys fling poo.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Not smart monkeys. Flying monkeys. Smart would be dangerous. Almost human but with poo flinging. A smart cat would figure out how to accidently trigger a gun.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Shy said...

flying but of average intelligence monkeys? that i could possibly handle so long as they remained in the zoo.
smart cats would learn to effectively fire a gun, not by accident.

11:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But I need them for my army of winged monkeys. They'll stay dumb we'll just wire a little thingy into their brains so my super computer can control em.

Do you see the story about the dog shooting the owner ?

4:06 AM  
Blogger Shy said...

i did see the story about the puppy that shot its owner.
got a good laugh at it.
i'm still uncertain about flying monkeys. i'd still rather have advanced cats.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

The monkeys could use their tails as rudders. (or to fling poo.) And I have my evil super computer so it will be all right. The cats would ferment rebellion and wipe us off the face of the planet.

11:34 PM  
Blogger Shy said...

nah. they need someone to wait in them hand and foot. they'd wipe out all of the ignorant pet owners and bad people.

4:56 PM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

So they would keep human slaves ?

8:40 PM  
Blogger Shy said...

if you think about it, cats already keep human slaves. i provide food, fresh water, a scooped litter box, catnip and toys, attention and grooming, daily to two cats as i type.

smarter cats would be able to communicate better what it is that they want and destroy anyone who doesn't abide.

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home