Saturday, October 30, 2004

More Dirty Computers

My cousin has a pretty nice lap top that she usually brings with her when she visits. So after dinner this evening when the old man pulled out his computer on the pretext of finding us maps to get somewhere on the northside tomorrow she of course whipped out her computer so that we could have dueling geekdom at the dining room table.

Then she complained about having some problems logging into AOL instant messenger and a suspicion that her computer is infected with spy ware. It was worse than I had anticipated. She has the WhenuSearch toolbar hijacker. I tried spybot search and destroy. I tried the yahoo spyware remover. This thing is entirely too resistant. I know that adaware se may clear up the problem but as she has Norton antivirus running on her computer I wasn't willing to risk whiping out her antivirus software. I had to advise turning the wireless antenna off an making a trip to a software retailer to buy a commercial spyware removal program.

Now at first I thought her roommate might be responsible as she allows said roommate to use the computer on occasion, but then she admitted using a program called Spyware Stormer or some such nonsense that shows up first in search results when people do a google or yahoo search for spyware or spybot. The program told her she needed to install some other software for it to work properly. Whatever it was the yahoo spyware removal software found thousands of of instances and footprints of spyware. She opened her machine up and now it is dirty dirty dirty like a 2 dollar whore.

The more I encounter hijacker software the more I'm convinced that these people need to be sought out and prosecuted criminally. It seems like felony behavior to me. Of course when the Master Plan (to take over the world) is complete I could just order summary cruel and needlessly painful torture / punishment, but as I am no presently Lord Tyrant and Dictator for Life, I think I'm going to write my house and senate representatives after the election and ask them to pass federal laws about hijacker software and to increase funding for whatever law enforcement agency is charged with enforcing those laws. These guys really bring out my vindictive nature.

On a side note, I'll be taking the digital camera with me on my trek across the city tomorrow so we can expect to see some Chicago photographs at Everyday Absurd in the next couple days. (Have to spread t out cant just post it all at once).

More Laters

3 Comments:

Blogger Miss Behaving [badly] said...

Great post!

When you rule the world, can you also track down and maim those search miracle tosspots.
Can I watch !

Love
Heroinegirl

p.s I am here to get your URL to link :)

9:21 PM  
Blogger Shy said...

spyware hijackers are just as terrible as telemarketers. such evils should be destroyed.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Yes when the revolution comes the telmarketers will be some of the first against the wall.

Reading Heroine Girl I'm often reminded of Dylan Thomas talking about visiting America in that he says he is burdened with a shared language. He was joking but only half heartedly. I understand almost every word of a sentence usually but as a whole as I dont share the same point of refrance I have no clue what she is saying. I think tosspots are bad. but to what degree is that merely a disparaging bad or a terrible anger. Are there english to english tranlations?

2:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home