Thursday, October 21, 2004

More Chicago Stuff

So if you watch the television you see a the occasional celebrity who is from Chicago, but doesn't live here any more. Once people get the money and the option to leave this city, they do. They always put on some bravado tuff guy / gal image as if merely being from the city makes them innately capable of kicking any other persons ass. Of course this is usually so much mendacity. People who claim to be from the city are in fact from some suburb forty miles out, whose idea of urbanization is there is a five or six story building in there down town area. Or worse yet they could be north siders. If you are not from Chicago you can not understand. South siders are taught early on that the north side is filled with bad people and Cubs fans. We think they are all wealthy pretentious and cubs fans. Even if you don't like baseball you understand that north side = bad. (There is also the entire boys town thing but once you get old enough to understand that gay doesn't mean bad, you get over that particular fear of the north side). North Siders may feel differently but we don't ask them. They may be Cubs fans.

Chicagoans also have a pale shade of the civic pride that used to exist back in the days of the book The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America
by Erik Larson. This can be seen in how we allow King Richard II (Mayor Daley) to spend vast amounts of cash on improvements to the parks and streets. We may have lost our labor friendly status these days as almost every contract with unions in this city end up going to arbitration so that we can keep taxes relatively low, but wow check out the parks at the lake front and around the city some time.

Now we grow up loving the look of the city and our particular neighborhoods. Then you get old enough to realize that between the lake and the cold air coming down from Canada, anyone who has the least bit of arthritis doesn't particularly like the city so much as they could. There are many a Chicago expatriate soaking up the Sun on a Florida beach or enjoying the lack of humidity in the Arizona heat.

And here are the Chicago Blogs I've been reading lately:
Geektastic No longer a news based blog. I rather enjoy this new incarnation.

Chicago Sheri Great photography, some fun links and mash up links.

Chicagoist I give this a half hearted recommendation. It wants to be quirky news. It doesn't quite make the cut. A little to focused on entertainment.

South of North Tom puts up a couple rants a week. Always lets you know what's in his sink.

Of course Mental Multivitamin even though she is now reporting from outside the city, her blog is just too smart to miss.

And that's it I was surfing around the Chicago bloggers web rings but there are a lot of dead blogs or just plain boring Chicagoans.

More Laters

6 Comments:

Blogger south of north said...

hey thanks for the nod!

unfortunately comments seem to be down on my site right now (i think haloscan is having a bad day), so everyone be warned

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chicago is my favorite city!

Found you via blog explosion - nice place! :)

Lisa
http://justagirlintheworld.com

1:41 PM  
Blogger south of north said...

btw i agree with you about chicagoist - they try to be... well they try too much. and it doesn't come across as hip or cool to me, just uhh... well trying too hard. and what's with always referring to themselves in the 3rd person? weird if you ask me.

5:09 PM  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

Oh good god, this post only solidifies my shame and horror. On this very day, in a meeting with my boss, I, as a matter of making small talk, dissed the southside. I am not originally from Chicago and only live on the northside for ease of commuting to Evanston....where I work and the boytoy (until recently) went to school.

She said, "So, we'll arrange for a driver to pick Mr. X up at the airport."

I said, "Saves us from having to go to the southside...which is always a good thing in my opinion."

I have no idea why I said it. I don't mean it.

When I looked up after saying it, she was glaring and mentioned that she'd been born and raised on the southside.

Eessh! I'm such a social nightmare.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Chicago Sheri said...

Thanks for the plug and kind words.
On your recommendation I checked out Geekstatic, another god one! Thanks!

8:27 PM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Completely forgot to plug The Anchored Nomad Also a Chicago blog I read. Though she's a northsider. Beware.

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home