Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Reading? Meta? Whatever.

One may have noticed from previous posts, that I read a great deal. Unless I'm going for a walk, I do not leave the house without a book. You never know where you will have a free couple of minutes to pop one out of you pocket and get in some quality escapism.

We also know that the Master Plan (to take over the world) involves, in part, getting people to read what I'm reading, so their thoughts will be more in line with mine and they too will see the need for overthrowing all world governments and installing me as Lord Tyrant, Dictator for Life. Of course, when I die at a ripe old age from a cardiac arrest brought about by, trying to think about attempting some fiendish sexual acrobatics,with nubile college coeds, the new government would fall apart without me to lead it but by then I'll beyond caring, because I'll be dead. This is the most talked about part of the Master Plan (to take over the world) so it may lead others to think that it encompasses the whole of the Master Plan (to take over the world). This is decidedly not the case. For example we recruit members into the Gmail Illuminati (I have invites if anyone at this late date still needs them). There is also the numbing of the brains of the masses with the spread of Flash Animation. (New Strong Bad emails at Homestar Runner almost every Monday. Check out the latest. The Gmail Illuminati are the Secret Masters and holders of the true geek knowledge. This brings me to the point that the Master Plan (to take over the world) is also a Secret Plan (Shhhhhh). So I can not reveal any more of it at this time.

So anyway I posts Links to Amazon so you can the editor's descriptions and some reviews of the books I'm talking about. I'm not very good at the review thing. I either I liked the book or I didn't I don't want to wax poetic about the imagery or the wonderful sense of realism. (This explains why I have yet to finish the English Literature Degree doesn't it). If I add a link to the a book like say, The Waste Land and Other Poems it is either because it is relevant to what I'm ranting about (which in this case it's not) or I'm currently reading it and the book will be on my mind for some time and I want to pass that on to others. (just picked it up today).

So imagine my surprise when I found a site that is collecting up all the Amazon links I make, excerpting this site, and using that as a sort of recommendation to purchase books.

How did I find this out one may ask. Well I was checking the site tracker and found that someone had done a search for rarrii. Now the title of the blog is Shockingly Provincial but I couldn't get that in the blogspot domain so I went with my initials Richard A. R. Rosenthal the 2nd (or II). I've used that as screen names in the past and was curious as to whether someone from the past was cyber stalking me and I was curious as to what the results were.

I found this site: All Consuming. Now the reason why my site was listed there wasn't readily apparent so I checked the cached data to see what was listed in Googles memory.

I was shocked and angered. I do not have a creative commons license. I don't own much stuff, so while I may display my words publicly, they are still my own and I didn't give these guys permission to use them. Not only are they stealing my words but they are stealing my non - existent Amazon sales.

So today I went over there to see if there was any way to redirect my sales to me. While I can put up a huge library of book links there. I'm not sure if there is any way to make it stop using my blog references for anyone else's book sales. Bastards. I think my ownly defense is to inventory every book I own on their site. I'm open to suggestions.

In Summary: The Master Plan (to take over the world) progresses slowly. You too can join the Gmail Illuminati (The Secret Masters of the Internet). Comment if you need an Invite. I'm not sure what to do about this All Consuming site (Bastards).

More Laters

11 Comments:

Blogger . : A : . said...

I missed the bus. Need an invit to join the Gmail Illuminati ... :-)

You can send it to englishaugustblog(at)yahoo(dot)com

7:22 AM  
Blogger Miss Behaving [badly] said...

You have unravelled a MAJOR scam.
This is why I don't read !
(That is a joke, I am educated please believe me!)

OK so I see you commented on my blog, HeroineGirl.
Nice work - I appreciate the visit. I will be watching still though *makes a little v and wedges it between my eyes, but not touching, then swtiches back and forth with you ...and then me.
Cos I watch you..

I think purge the directory overload, but it is your site , it just screams LiKe Uz GuYz R 2 CooLX 4 MaH GuRLs ..how do people fucking type like that.
They must be some annoying motherfucker.

I never swear normally. I swear.
I might interview you soon for my blog.
If that is ok, may send a few travellers your way.

Royally yours
HG

p.s I am taking over the world, you don't have boobs!

7:23 AM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

cleolove -- That may be true, but I'd still like to beat em with a wet noodle.

HeroineGirl-- I'm not one of the 1337. heh. yeah I've seen the sites where they do the odd color texts with the shifting case and I never try to read em. I have to wear glasses as it is why strain the eyes furthter.

As to the swearing. I've got a mouth like a trucker dropping the F - bomb quite often as almost any part of speech (adjetive, noun, verb, adverb etc.) I just try to avoid it in my writing so I don't give people an excuse not to read my words.

And as to the boobs thing. I've got em they jsut aren't an attrctive added bonus on me. I can still take over the world then ?

11:14 AM  
Blogger Trillian said...

I read an article (don't ask me where) that blogs are one of the worst offenders for plagerism, and generally stealing intellectual property from each other. I've never actually seen anyone making money off of the words, but there you go - you're clearly a trend-setter for a new form of plagerism!

11:34 AM  
Blogger carmilevy said...

Can't we trace the IP address and then write a Trojan that targets the site with a Denial of Service Attack? Revenge scenarios are so much fun to brainstorm. But, ultimately, their punishment is the inability to come up with worthwhile content all by themselves.

I pity those with so little creativity that they feel their only option is to steal the good stuff from others. It's flattering to us, in a way. But also incredibly sad, for they have nothing value-added to offer the world.

In short, they'll stew in their own filth for stealing your good work.

End rant.

12:55 PM  
Blogger south of north said...

They are probably using a spider program to index your site for the book links. Assuming they do this honestly, you can stop this by putting a meta tag in your blogger template between the <head> </head> tags, such as this: <meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow">. (Note: this will block google's spider, too. You can add another tag replacing "robots" with "googlebot" and changing "noindex, nofollow" to "index, follow" to allow google to index your site.) If you already know this, sorry for the spam.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Shy said...

rich doesn't have boobs, but i do. i have no personal interest in taking over the world (apathy overcomes me). but if my friend wants to take over the world, i will not let his plan be thwarted if all he needs is a walking pair of boobs.

5:16 PM  
Blogger mk said...

I guess, its a violation of copyright, if they are using your posts without your permission. You should ask them to remove all your articles, and exclude your site from further indexing in future.

As for taking over the world, Rich, I am with you. Boobs or no boobs, lets get an army ready, and take over this world. Then we get ready for Mars.

1:27 AM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Hmm Mars. It's uninhabitted right. So we dont have anyone to conquer. We have already won. We have already conquered Mars! The Master Plan (to take over the world) has extened it's scope to the solar system! There may be a flaw in my argument.

Tom I know next to nothing about tags and html so I'll keep this page bookmarked but for new I'm going to hope some greedy lawyer starts a class action suit, and while I wont get anything for it, I'll be happy that someone was spanke civilly.

1:42 AM  
Blogger Miss Behaving [badly] said...

Man boobs are counted.
Now do you have canteen lady arms to go with that?
You know the turkey neck arms?

Are you saying that you are "cuddly"?

5:22 AM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

I'm not exactly understanding the canteen lady arms thing. If it turns out to be something I need to be female for, then we always have the Shy. But the shy is busy working on her degree now so we have to put off global domination for a little while.

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home