Sunday, October 10, 2004

The Tactless One

I had a few other things I was going to rant about today but I suppose they can wait. I need to stop browsing and commenting when I'm tired. I was flipping through the Blog Explosion (I know,stop talking about it already) thing the other day and I noticed a growing pattern. The same person had commented not only on everyday Absurd but on Drooling Drip and almost every other blog I had come across. And she said almost the same thing every time.

Now I followed the blogger profile back to a site and left a comment. It was a thoughtless comment. More of a childish, "I know what you're doing taunt," that would have been better left not said. I even left a typo in the comment using the word "very" when I obviously meant "vary." The next person to stop by the sight pointed out this indiscretion and gave me my come-uppance with a forceful "Duh!"

So the author of the blog followed my link back to the Guerilla Commenting post and let me know that the behavior I had described was ridiculous and in no way described what she was doing, which was merely making an introductory visit, and furthermore that from this day forth she would not be grace this site with her presence.

Now part of me wants to wax apologetic. I was offensive and rude and obviously hurt the authors feelings. I in now way acted the part of the gentleman. Then there is the part of me that could really care less about other peoples feelings. That inner child wants to lambaste not only the author but the rocket scientist who felt I should be grateful for a comment no matter how cut and paste and thoughtless it may be. The inner child also wants to point out that not a tear will be shed or a heart broken, that I will not lay awake at night pondering how I went wrong and what it would take to win back that one lost reader. Yeah I'm not thinking I'm going to apologize. I also wont be ranting and raving about it any further, I'm too lazy to get into a flame war.

So the lessons of the day: No more half awake commenting. Henceforth I shall comment only on blogs of like minded crazy people. When someone misspells a word the best way to point it out is to say, "Duh!"

More Laters

8 Comments:

Blogger Alan Gurling said...

Duh!

No actually, I just got to your site through Blog Explosion also, and have noticed a similar pattern like yours. Seems like several users share the same line of sites to visit.

Keep it easy.

10:04 AM  
Blogger Diane said...

Don't feel bad about it, you didn't mean it maliciously. Or at least that's how it seems to me.

11:25 AM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Zac -- Not God - like just your future benevolent dicator, or perhaps one of the Secret Masters of the Gmail Illuminati and I'm thinking of adding some more strange titles put I havn't come up with them yet.

Thanks Diva, though I did wake up today feeling quite foolish for posting about it and was half tempted to go delete the post.

G and cleolove thanks for stopping by. Wish I had one of my crazier rants up for your first visit. I'll shall aim to improve the quality.

2:36 AM  
Blogger Carol said...

Hope to catch up on some reading about the great state of Illinois, my adopted state for 25 years.
Don't let a momentary lapse of manners get you down. At least you know when you are behaving badly and why, that puts you way ahead of about 90% of the human race. Come visit me. I'm new to the ring, and crazy, but have sympathy on my spelling, it's attrocious.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Carol yours is not a public blogger profile so we will need an url to find our way.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Chicago Sheri said...

I have been tactless, usually regret it too, not always.
It does seem to be a lot of fake blogs, stalking blogs also called sock puppets out there. Makes me check out people and question it all. I was sent a nice email about some pets blog, thought it was sweet and nice, but then turned out to be a push for people to really join some forum.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Sock Puppets! I've never heard that. I now have a sock puppet image stuck in my head.

1:43 AM  
Blogger Chicago Sheri said...

yeah it just stuck
heard it in a circle of online "friends"
fake journals, or even people pretending like they are other bloggers, using same names and such
Screwy!

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home