Sunday, October 03, 2004

Almost Secret Agent

So anyway the sore on the moms foot didn't heal but calloused over and then infected the bone underneath so the doctor of feet made the call and she had a little outpatient surgery. They go in chop out all the nasty infected bits close it up and give us instructions. Mom is to be off of her feet for at least two weeks. Feet should optimally be higher than her heart for at least the first couple days.

So the idea is mom lays on the couch. I sit on the computer with her most of the day and do whatever needs doing. Make meals, fetch beverages, fetch cats to be pet. Fetch stuffed animals, books, DVD's and hand held solitaire game. Whenever it looks like the mom is going to put her foot on the floor I am to say, "Isn't your foot suppose to be up?" I am to entertain the mother. I am to keep track of what she eats and how long that foot stays down. I am to answer the phone when it rings and if it happens to be the old man I am to give him a full report of the days activities since he left the house.

The pay sucks but it beats working for a living.

So anyway the old man realized that there are times I must escape, if not the house then at least the room or the floor of the house. I will at times hole up in my room and do some blog reading or perhaps power up the xbox and set about virtual destruction. If the eyes are tired I can always kick on the bedside light and ay out across the bed for a couple hundred pages of casual reading. I usually read just before bed between four and six am when I know no one will bother me and it is nice and quiet and easy to get into the book but if the mother doesn't have the television completely blasted I can sometimes fall into a book during the day. I've finished the P.D. James I talked about the other night and set aside the Stephen King as an Amazon order came through. I'll be reading Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson.

Anyway the old man went and purchased some Motorola hand held radios with these plug in ear microphones. So now I can turn on a radio and leave it with mom and then bring one upstairs with me and she can page me when she needs me. I'm betting the first time she does it will be for something like could you come down here and change the channel on the Television for me.

I tested the radios today as they are suppose to have a 5 mile radius. That may be true in an open area but in the city I lost contact after about three quarters of a mile. The old man thought it would be good for me to use it when I went out walking just in case of an emergency. If they were really powerful enough to cover five miles it would be kind of neat. I could walk down to the dunkin donuts an ask mom if she wanted anything. I know people have cell phones and stuff but don't knock the radio technology. Fun stuff I tell you.

So now that I have a radio and a digital camera I'm like the secret agent of Beverly, reporting on the non happenings of the want to be suburb to the populace at large. Agent Rich reporting: Beverly idiots still fertilizing their lawns this late in the season, pig manure smell everywhere. Agent Rich reporting: drunks wandering from bar to bar on western avenue. Agent Rich reporting: Have photo of a trailer in Beverly. Must destroy it before property values go down!

Ok a quick offtopic note Amazon changed their link builder and as such I don't think I can get the image links anymore without all sorts of other crap I don't want on this site. It's really irritating.

Ok after a while reading posts on the Amazon board and playing with the new link editor I may have picture links. I'll try em out and see one is for the previously mentioned book another is for the new game I picked up to play while sitting with the mother. If it doesn't work I may have to stop sending them business. It's not like I'm making any money anyways.




More Laters


2 Comments:

Blogger Shy said...

radio phones are fun. i bought dad some for his birthday last year.
i hope your moms foot feels better soon. luckily they didn't opt to use maggots to clean the infection---though they are extremely proficient and are raised in sterile environments, i couldn't imagine having them on me and i'm not a squirmish person.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Nasty Nasty Nasty! little white creatures. I ever tell you about the time I picked up a soaked towel that had been sitting under a sink and it was covered in maggots. Creaped the heck out of me. I screamed like a 2 year old or a man who just had his nuts slammed in the door.

2:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home