Friday, July 02, 2004

Things I Own

I don't have much stuff left. At one time I had an apartment full of stuff. When I lived in Macomb, I acquired a house full of stuff with more stuff in the shed and even more thrown out in the scary looking garage thingy. I had a lot of stuff. I had 2 Lay z boy recliners. One in my bedroom and one in the front room. I had a couch and a TV. I had a VCR that didn't work very well. I had cabinets full of dishes and utensils. I know the fashion gods at IKEA would have loved to get rid of everything I owned. It was all second hand stuff from people who were moving on. It wasn't great stuff but it was my stuff.

It's all gone now. I've moved a lot over the last 5 or six years. I never had money for a Uhaul, not for stuff I had no place to store. Almost all my Macomb stuff became other peoples stuff or dumpster stuff. All that came home was one mini van full of stuff. And the old man had to be able to use the rear view mirror so I couldn't even stack stuff to the ceiling. Then in Chicago I moved a few times initially I moved in with my older brother then I moved in with my younger brother then I moved in with my parents. There was a brief 3 month jaunt in Macomb again and back to the parents. Each of those moves dwindled my collection even further. My little brother threw away some of my stuff or left it out where the cat could pee on it because his wife wanted it out of the house and apparently moving it to the hallway is first step in getting Rich to come get his stuff. I'm still a little bitter about that. I lost all my Magic The Gathering cards as well as some other collectables. While I was in Macomb for the three month stint, still more of my stuff was boxed up and hidden in the deep recesses of the closet where there is a leak and some of it is now either trash or stained.

So what have I got left? I've got some pictures A roll of film from a road trip to Macomb and a few miscellaneous ones tossed in. I've got some meaningless tassels from high school and grade school. They are in terrible condition but I cant bring myself to throw them away. I've got a couple thousand books that I've been storing in the parents garage, though a few of them maybe even up to 50, have to be tossed out as mice got into em. Last of all I have about ten years worth of the Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction, Analog, Realms of Fantasy and the now Defunct Science Fiction Age. Every time I go to visit my uncle he bags up all the magazines and hands em over. I would read em and then put em in a box alongside the books in the garage. Now there is this massive collection. It's impressive by anyone's standards. Sure a few missing here and there but its almost a complete collection. So now I don't know what to do with them. I don't have much so I can't just throw them away. There would be tears and wailing and gnashing of teethe. I'm not going to reread them. There is to much left for me to read in this lifetime that I have yet had the pleasure ove taking in. To me they are an amazing chronicle of they way science fiction and fantasy have been changing over the years yet, I know, that to most people they are just stacks of old magazines, best thrown in with the recycling.

So now we need space in the house so I have to take many of my books and magazines off my shelf and store them in the garage again so that we might clear the middle bedroom for the imminent arrival of my younger brother and his bride. I will create a document a spreadsheet or database listing all that I've owned in words all that I've read before my precious collection must brave the elements once more.

More Laters

3 Comments:

Blogger Shy said...

i have one of your lazy boys. actually, i'm sitting in it as i write this being that i chose it for the chair in front of my computer. it's the strange green colored one that was in your side room on west pierce. i decided to adopt it the day you came back to macomb for the rest of your stuff.
i also have a book. actually, you told me to return it to dennis. i tried. he came over one night to collect "Breakfast of Champions" but when he left, he didn't take it with him. i don't recall ever seeing him after that. i think he went to new orleans right?
to the point, if you would like either of these wonderful stuffs back, they are yours for the asking. i love the chair, but i have others in this cramped dump i call home (the chair is still ultra comfy).

2:31 PM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Don't worry bout it Shy just blowing off steam about not having anything or not even space. This is my space and its not up all the time heh

3:29 AM  
Blogger Shy said...

not worried about it. just saying that some of your old stuff is right at hand.

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home