Thursday, July 01, 2004

Hard Times for Ukla

So back in the days before everyone and there brother had AOL or Yahoo or whatever back when web pages were things that took hours to load if you had any sort of image on them, back then I was known everywhere on the internet as Ukla. Sometimes if you could have a last name in a MUD (Multi User Dungeon)our nerdy old school text based role playing games, I would be Ukla The Mok. If you encountered that name on the internet it was me plain and simple.

Where did Ukla come from. The first time I attended WIU I joined a Coed service organization called Alpha Phi Omega. Every pledge is give a name at the end of their pledging period and they guy who introduced me to the group told everybody about how when I was a teenager at parties in the woods, whenever we needed wood for the fire I would just go uproot a small tree bare handed. I'm a big guy and it was Michigan where the soil is sandy so it was no great feat. The people in the service fraternity however recalled a old cartoon called Thundarr the Barbarian. In the cartoon there was this big hairy grunting beast who took trees out of the ground and used them like clubs. His name is Ookla. My friends didn't know it was spelled that way but they liked the name so that is what they stuck me with. I've always kinda like it too, so whenever I need a screen name or a character name it was Ukla.

Time passes. AOL gets millions of members. Everyone and their brother has a website. I can't get Ukla anymore. Do a Google Search for Ukla and I'm no where on it. Top of the list is : United Kingdom Literacy Association. Like they need to read! Bah.

So nowadays I go By Uklamok one word still pretty nerdy. Definitely has a woman repellent feel to it. I did a Dogpile search for Uklamok. Seems a few drunk rants I've done on a literary site are still out there and I'm listed on a few lesser known artists page's on Yahoo Launchcast as I have rated their music or cds and not enough other people have done so yet to bump me down off the page. Grand total of five listing so far but all me baby. So now I lay down my claim to Ukla and henceforth untill the day I need to change it again my handle shall be Uklamok. Long may it reign.

More Laters

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home