Friday, October 22, 2004

Another Crackpot Theory

So I'm a no spices, no condiments sort of guy. I want my meat, cheese or vegetables to taste like what they are and nothing more. I happen to think these things have strong flavors that usually need no artificial enhancement.

So the parents keep telling me about the food they had on their trip to Ireland a few years backs. The Mother keeps telling me that, "You would love it Richard. Everything is bland and in large portions." Pepper may have been added in the cooking of a meal but never to excess. The old man (who is half Irish) thought the food was wonderful.

Now the other day I was sent to the local deli on a mission to procure cream of mushroom soup. The deli was out so I boldly decide to buy a cream of potato instead figuring that if you can not have one kind of cream soup another would do in a pinch. The mother thought the soup was merely alright if somewhat bland. I thought the soup and a very strong potato flavor. Mom added pepper and still thought it needed something and I was quite sure that the soup was perfect.

So my crackpot hypothesis for the day is that some people (notably those of Irish heritage) have more sensitive taste buds. People who insist on spicing the heck out of everything they eat must not taste things as strongly. Now I need to go find some pseudo science to back up these assumptions.

In summary: Potato soup has a bold flavor. Anyone who doesn't think so must report to a mad scientist I will recruit to perform painful needless experiments to prove my hypothesis. Does anyone have the number of a good mad scientist.

More Laters

3 Comments:

Blogger south of north said...

i'm reasonably insane and like to experiment on things. i'll do it. now, about funding... it'll take a huge budget... all the tongue depressors and taste bud receptors and pain inducers you know. and rabbit ear antenni with a little electric arc between them. oh and of course the machine that goes "ping."

9:48 PM  
Blogger Shy said...

i'm with you on this one. potatoes have a very bold potato flavor. not bland but wonderful, potatoey, plain potato. if i put A-1 on it (which i like to do now and then), and it still tasted like a plain potato, then yes, it would be bland.

i made carrots and parsnips (grate both medium thickness, cook). mom said it needed something. i thought...but it's potato and parsnips and i put potato and parnsip in the bowl...what on earth.....
*shrug*

7:58 PM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Ok we Have Tom and the Shy on board. The Master Plan (to take over the world) is more of a patience thing so we may need to take control of a small South American Nation in order to raise the capital to perform the needlessly painful experiments. Do mercenaries work for pillage rights or is that as cash up fromt business?

2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home