Civic Duty
So a number of years ago I used to be employed and have my own place and life was good (except that the job was terrible and soul destroying but that is not the point). The thing was that while I had a decent amount of cash coming in I could spend it almost as fast so I never got around to getting a car as that might cut into my spending money. If I wanted to see the parents I usually had to wait until 4 am when the old man got off work and have him pick me up on his way home. Then I would spend the night at the folks place and visit in the morning.
So during one such ride the old man was giving me a hard time about registering to vote. I was uninterested and apathetic. I told em that there was no one I wanted to vote for. The old man responded that my civic duty wasn't to just go out and vote, but to find someone worth voting for. While I may have spent the rest of my twenties screwing around and missing every election the idea stuck with me.
So these days I'm a little more aware of the world around me and the crap legacies previous generations are going to leave me and any possible children I could have and it has me thinking. I all ready screwed up the part about finding someone worth voting for I was not active early on in the process so it comes down to a choice of a man I can live with for four years and a man who I dread leaving in charge for another for years. So it's time to plan ahead. Now is the time to start thinking about the election in 2008.
So I've been surfing around a bit and it seems the man who is on the tip of every tongue is Jon Stewart, the host of Comedy Central's Daily Show. People love this guy. People like Kirk talk about his crossfire interview. (Kirk just made me a banner for Everyday Absurd for Blog Explosion. It was completely unexpected so of course the Catholic in me feels guilty about doing nothing in return. Must drive traffic towards Kirk's Blog to alleviate guilt. And the pictures are really neat too). People wait with baited breath for the Jon Stewart interview on 60 minutes. The Daily Show with Jon Stewart Presents America (The Book): A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction is selling like hot cakes. William Gibson (one of my favorite authors) mentioned Jon Stewart in his blog. Jon Stewart is the man.
So I propose that we start making plans now to draft Jon Stewart to serve as our President in 2008. He may not want the job or feel that he is qualified to do the job but I think he would feel compelled to serve if enough of the country stood up and said We want You! Think ahead. Think Jon Stewart for President in 2008.
More Laters
So during one such ride the old man was giving me a hard time about registering to vote. I was uninterested and apathetic. I told em that there was no one I wanted to vote for. The old man responded that my civic duty wasn't to just go out and vote, but to find someone worth voting for. While I may have spent the rest of my twenties screwing around and missing every election the idea stuck with me.
So these days I'm a little more aware of the world around me and the crap legacies previous generations are going to leave me and any possible children I could have and it has me thinking. I all ready screwed up the part about finding someone worth voting for I was not active early on in the process so it comes down to a choice of a man I can live with for four years and a man who I dread leaving in charge for another for years. So it's time to plan ahead. Now is the time to start thinking about the election in 2008.
So I've been surfing around a bit and it seems the man who is on the tip of every tongue is Jon Stewart, the host of Comedy Central's Daily Show. People love this guy. People like Kirk talk about his crossfire interview. (Kirk just made me a banner for Everyday Absurd for Blog Explosion. It was completely unexpected so of course the Catholic in me feels guilty about doing nothing in return. Must drive traffic towards Kirk's Blog to alleviate guilt. And the pictures are really neat too). People wait with baited breath for the Jon Stewart interview on 60 minutes. The Daily Show with Jon Stewart Presents America (The Book): A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction is selling like hot cakes. William Gibson (one of my favorite authors) mentioned Jon Stewart in his blog. Jon Stewart is the man.
So I propose that we start making plans now to draft Jon Stewart to serve as our President in 2008. He may not want the job or feel that he is qualified to do the job but I think he would feel compelled to serve if enough of the country stood up and said We want You! Think ahead. Think Jon Stewart for President in 2008.
More Laters















5 Comments:
He may not want the job or feel that he is qualified to do the jobMany would say (me among them) that this is precisely the kind of person that SHOULD have the job. Setting aside the issue of voter apathy, If you ask me, the problems with the world today are due primarily to the fact that most of our politicians are people who WANT to be in politics.
RT
Hmm...I agree, RT.
I don't want to go into politics. I just want to be a benevolent dicator. Is that too much to ask?
Have you ever noticed that those who are most qualified / sought out are those who have no interest in becoming President? The irony... the injustice of it all... what have we become as a society?
I'll have to post a Universal Theory on Society soon. Just as soon as I figure out some of the rough parts. Ex Bartenders have spooky insight.
Post a Comment
<< Home