Pets Are Not Human Beings
So I got this Seattle Times Story off Fark.
For those of you who are too lazy to read the article I will summarize: Crazy Lady spends 25 grand (that is 25 thousand dollars getting her pet a transplant.
I understand loving a pet. I get it. I've had many. (Mostly cats for the self care features and mostly because I'm never the one with the pet purchasing power. They brighten up your life and I think there has been some science that shows people who have pets to care for -- a reason to live so to speak -- on average outlive poor bastards who don't have love in their life. I would do some sort of search on Google or Find Articles but I'm Lazy. But I'll make a link and you can do it if you like.
I don't understand the massive spending. There comes a point when a person has to realize a pet is not a human being and it is ok to let them go. The materialistic part of me of course thinks about the stuff I could get or do with that kind of cash (Not enough to own the strip club but I could certainly spend a number of hours in one.) But as I'm a human being I can get beyond my base motivations (with difficulty) and think about what this woman could do for any number of cats with that much cash.
She could adopt a ton - o - kitty [TM] a probably still have enough left over to feed em for quite some time. Or let em run wild and keep down the population of other critters in the area while at the same time doing a sort of Darwinian survival of the fittest thing. There can be only one Cat Master.
She could give that money to some shelter and provide for the care of beasts that are on kitty death row.
She could have given the money to some animal rights activists who would probably waste it on card board placards and red paint to throw on fur.
She could buy several tons of cat food to feed wild kitties.
Zoos like money. They have cats.
I would gladly take care of some cats for her for a 25 grand fee.
So say this surgery is successful. How long does this give the cat? Months ? Years? That brief flicker that is our own life time is made long in comparison to a cat's natural age limitation. They are lucky if the see out two decades. Now this cat needs to not only recover from a major surgery but it will need to be on all sorts of meds for a very long time and it will need a lot of supervision. What is the cat's quality of life after this operation?
When this pet eventually dies -- and it will -- what kind of psychological trauma will this owner go through. She obviously isn't prepared to let it go now. Will she be ready then. Will she need years of therapy? Where are the shrinks at the animal hospital. Maybe that is a new field. Pet owner pyscholigist.
More Laters
For those of you who are too lazy to read the article I will summarize: Crazy Lady spends 25 grand (that is 25 thousand dollars getting her pet a transplant.
I understand loving a pet. I get it. I've had many. (Mostly cats for the self care features and mostly because I'm never the one with the pet purchasing power. They brighten up your life and I think there has been some science that shows people who have pets to care for -- a reason to live so to speak -- on average outlive poor bastards who don't have love in their life. I would do some sort of search on Google or Find Articles but I'm Lazy. But I'll make a link and you can do it if you like.
I don't understand the massive spending. There comes a point when a person has to realize a pet is not a human being and it is ok to let them go. The materialistic part of me of course thinks about the stuff I could get or do with that kind of cash (Not enough to own the strip club but I could certainly spend a number of hours in one.) But as I'm a human being I can get beyond my base motivations (with difficulty) and think about what this woman could do for any number of cats with that much cash.
She could adopt a ton - o - kitty [TM] a probably still have enough left over to feed em for quite some time. Or let em run wild and keep down the population of other critters in the area while at the same time doing a sort of Darwinian survival of the fittest thing. There can be only one Cat Master.
She could give that money to some shelter and provide for the care of beasts that are on kitty death row.
She could have given the money to some animal rights activists who would probably waste it on card board placards and red paint to throw on fur.
She could buy several tons of cat food to feed wild kitties.
Zoos like money. They have cats.
I would gladly take care of some cats for her for a 25 grand fee.
So say this surgery is successful. How long does this give the cat? Months ? Years? That brief flicker that is our own life time is made long in comparison to a cat's natural age limitation. They are lucky if the see out two decades. Now this cat needs to not only recover from a major surgery but it will need to be on all sorts of meds for a very long time and it will need a lot of supervision. What is the cat's quality of life after this operation?
When this pet eventually dies -- and it will -- what kind of psychological trauma will this owner go through. She obviously isn't prepared to let it go now. Will she be ready then. Will she need years of therapy? Where are the shrinks at the animal hospital. Maybe that is a new field. Pet owner pyscholigist.
More Laters















2 Comments:
quality of life is my one and only concern. i don't have lots of money but i give all i can to my pets because i'm ...well,......i miss them so much when they are gone.
i believe fully in opening my heart to new pets, giving them the best life i can but .... if can give them a longer, happy life, i do it. 25 g's is pretty damn expensive though.
i could make a lot of other kitties happy for that amount or pay to have a lot of peoples pets fixed (control the pet population:see bob barker).
The thing that dre me in to William burroughs final diaries was the cats. He was a bit crazed about a few subjects but his love for his cats shined through
Post a Comment
<< Home