Thursday, September 09, 2004

HTML

Once upon a time -- couple months ago -- I never would have dreamed of playing with the template of this web page. I didn't know anything about HTML and the idea of learning a new programming language was daunting. Then I learned about the little secret of right clicking on a web page to see the source code and I was in cut and paste heaven.

I've always found the easiest way to code something was to find something else that is similar to what I want to create, copy it, then play with the code until I can get it to work. For some reason I didn't think my past programming experience would come into play with HTML.

I learned BASIC in grade school and then more extensively in high school. (On an Apple II GS). After the madatory class myself and one other guy in our entire high school decided to move on to learn Pascal. That was an entire year of learning to think like a programmer in a class of 2 people. Lot of attention. Lot of learning. In college I stopped taking courses about programming but over the years I ended up learning enough C, and C++ on my own because I was a bit of a geek. Then there was the coding of HavenMud (I was Ukla God of War)where I learned a little about LPC but then realized I was basically working for free by coding a mud and that ended that adventure.

So what I'm getting to is I've coded a bit here and there and I now realize HTML will not be hard to learn. I've already mastered the linky thing. Check it out I've got links and links. The Footnote on every page is now a list of blogs or blog like sites. This will probably grow. I kind of like the paragraph of links. Now I have to figure out a way to get em to display in a random order. It will be like poetry magnets.

So anyways I'm open to link suggestions, coding tips and if I had a wishlist up It would probably include books about coding html and java and all that fun stuff. I will wait on these purchases until I get the private computer up and running.

In Summary: I'm a coding geek. Check out the links. I'm still ambivalent about wishlists.

4 Comments:

Blogger Shy said...

html. i know some of that. i can even code a web page.
dabbling in other peoples code makes life easier, i agree. webmonkey.com is a good place for freebie info and tutorials.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Shy said...

so do we want to play with the site layout or leave it as is since it's perfectly functional.

4:55 PM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

I'm open to change. Not sure what I would want to do. (or how to do it for that matter.) Should I change you to an administator on the template ?

8:39 PM  
Blogger FordTruckFan said...

HTML is your friend. I'm not sure which links are yours but the blog is an interesting read.

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home