Say It Aint So, Joe
So anyway Senator Joe Lieberman lost Connecticut's Democratic Primary. (Yahoo news link to the story). Prior to today I would be lying if I said I knew the Primary was this week. I knew that Senator Lieberman was facing an Anti - War candidate. I read a bit here and there about strong internet support from out of state for said candidate. Prior to this date I would be lying if I said I even knew who this guy was. With a little help from our friends the search engines, I was able to learn that state of Connecticut's new Democratic candidate for the Senate is a man named Ned Lamont. (You can tell he is running as a Democrat from large amount of blue on the page. Oh how easy politics has become now that we have color coded it all).
Now I am in interested.
I am waiting, with baited breath, to see what the rest of the Democratic party is going to do. Will the embrace the man who won the election and throw all their support behind him? Will they stump for Senator Lieberman who has vowed to run as an independent? I particularly like the quote from the Senator where he claims that he will be making the independent run, "For the sake of our state, our country and my party..." I didn't know that all of these institutions would collapse without the leadership of one Senator Joe Lieberman. Maybe he should run for president or something! Oh wait he did, twice, and lost.
So let me see if I have this straight: Splitting the Democratic party and basically handing over a seat in the Senate to the republican nominee Alan Schlesinger (another name I did not know before tonight. The blue on his web page throws of my political color code theory and it should be changed to red immediately to align with the system!) somehow helps the state, country and party. Hmm maybe if Lieberman actually was a closet Republican I could see how he might see that this might help the state and the country, but I'm pretty sure it can only hurt the Democratic party.
Splitting the Ticket aside I have to wonder about this new Democratic candidate. Richard Nixon won his 72 reelection against an "anti - war" candidate by one of the largest margins in our country's history (I think Reagan beat Carter by a better margin but don't go quoting me on that). A Democrat may beat another Democrat in the I am more peace loving than you fight, but I'm not sure that a campaign strictly based on our countries involvement in Iraq will win an election against a Republican. The Republicans are sure to start blowing smoke about gay marriage and the Democratic love of Taxes.
I find this hard to believe, but I think "the place" for any political reporter to be right now is in Connecticut. Heck I want to be there. The entire thing has that sort of grand fatalism about it that could produce a Hunter S. Thompson style novel. Dear Rolling stone aspiring Gonzo journalist needs a press pass, a hotel room and just enough money to eat until the election. I can guarantee exciting coverage even if the candidates are perhaps a little less than inspiring.
More Laters
Now I am in interested.
I am waiting, with baited breath, to see what the rest of the Democratic party is going to do. Will the embrace the man who won the election and throw all their support behind him? Will they stump for Senator Lieberman who has vowed to run as an independent? I particularly like the quote from the Senator where he claims that he will be making the independent run, "For the sake of our state, our country and my party..." I didn't know that all of these institutions would collapse without the leadership of one Senator Joe Lieberman. Maybe he should run for president or something! Oh wait he did, twice, and lost.
So let me see if I have this straight: Splitting the Democratic party and basically handing over a seat in the Senate to the republican nominee Alan Schlesinger (another name I did not know before tonight. The blue on his web page throws of my political color code theory and it should be changed to red immediately to align with the system!) somehow helps the state, country and party. Hmm maybe if Lieberman actually was a closet Republican I could see how he might see that this might help the state and the country, but I'm pretty sure it can only hurt the Democratic party.
Splitting the Ticket aside I have to wonder about this new Democratic candidate. Richard Nixon won his 72 reelection against an "anti - war" candidate by one of the largest margins in our country's history (I think Reagan beat Carter by a better margin but don't go quoting me on that). A Democrat may beat another Democrat in the I am more peace loving than you fight, but I'm not sure that a campaign strictly based on our countries involvement in Iraq will win an election against a Republican. The Republicans are sure to start blowing smoke about gay marriage and the Democratic love of Taxes.
I find this hard to believe, but I think "the place" for any political reporter to be right now is in Connecticut. Heck I want to be there. The entire thing has that sort of grand fatalism about it that could produce a Hunter S. Thompson style novel. Dear Rolling stone aspiring Gonzo journalist needs a press pass, a hotel room and just enough money to eat until the election. I can guarantee exciting coverage even if the candidates are perhaps a little less than inspiring.
More Laters















0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home