Geek Salmon Run
On the advice of one Chicago Sheri I talked my cousin into driving me to Wizard World Chicago. I haven't to a proper gathering of my fellow geeks since 1995. While comics have never really been my thing (I'm more on the science fiction / fantasy end of the geek spectrum) I knew that all sorts of nerdy interests would be represented.
To do a convention right one really needs a hotel room, a three day pass and a ton of extra cash. I had none of these things so I didn't really get the full experience. Most of my cash was spent after paying for our tickets and parking. The parking thing bugs me. The convention center knows they have a captive audience. Parking should be free with a paid admission! It was eleven bucks. That is Highway robbery.
My first round of the exhibition center found me new favorite novelty t-shirt provider. They are called Offworld Designs. They Brought three sizes with em: Large, Triple Extra Large and the Five XL. These are also known as Gamer small medium and large. I bought a gamer medium. It was a Cowthulhu. (They have java script on their page our I would link to the shirt. Click on the Cthulu designs Link and scroll down).
As we walked into the place we could not help but notice the giant Tony Hawk Videogame promotion. They had a skateboard ramp and were offering costumed geeks 20 bucks to ride the ramp. Jango Fett wasn't particularly skilled on the board, but he did look quite a bit like the actor. The Star Wars theme was fairly rampant. I'm not sure why. I suppose it was the only geek convention in town so they all armored up or donned the old Jedi brown and it was off to walk around the hall, being stopped every few feet by people asking to take their photograph. I only managed to capture one Twilik Jedi and some Storm Troopers besides Mr. Fett trying to do the ramp.
Super Hero's were fairly common. My ability to get em on film ... not so much. We have Wonder Woman. I stared at her a bit. Drool may have formed. There were some women in X gear of some sort. Might have been X - factor.
A Batgirl (who looked a few years beyond girl) stepped up next to a Batman here. My cousins head got in front of some Super hero types, but you can still make out the green lantern and green clad woman on the left. The one and only incredible hulk (aka Lou Ferrigno) was selling autographed shots for 20 dollars. I wasn't about to spend that and I didn't try to sneak a picture. He's still pretty bulky. He also didn't seem very happy with what he was doing.
This brings me to the next item. There were any number of pseudo celebrities. People who played minor roles recently or bigger roles many years ago. There were lines to get autographs from em, but one might wait only a few minutes. It's not like they were the going concern. People sat in line for the comic book artists. The Marvel and the DC booths had lines that would rival any amusement park ride. The only other place I saw people lined up was outside the room the Kevin Smith Question and Answer session was suppose to take place in. We arrived at 10:45 and all the tickets for the event were already gone. If the people already had tickets I can not understand why they felt it necessary to sit outside the room prior to the event. It wasn't until three in the afternoon. That is a lot of wasted convention time waiting to get a good seat.
Anyway this brief excursion has only wet the pallet. I'm thinking the only thing to do is to hit WindyCon 33, to get a room on the party floor and spend as little time actually sleeping in it as humanly possible. Now I only have to get the funding.
More Laters
(oh and check out the rest of pictures at Everyday Absurd)
To do a convention right one really needs a hotel room, a three day pass and a ton of extra cash. I had none of these things so I didn't really get the full experience. Most of my cash was spent after paying for our tickets and parking. The parking thing bugs me. The convention center knows they have a captive audience. Parking should be free with a paid admission! It was eleven bucks. That is Highway robbery.
My first round of the exhibition center found me new favorite novelty t-shirt provider. They are called Offworld Designs. They Brought three sizes with em: Large, Triple Extra Large and the Five XL. These are also known as Gamer small medium and large. I bought a gamer medium. It was a Cowthulhu. (They have java script on their page our I would link to the shirt. Click on the Cthulu designs Link and scroll down).
As we walked into the place we could not help but notice the giant Tony Hawk Videogame promotion. They had a skateboard ramp and were offering costumed geeks 20 bucks to ride the ramp. Jango Fett wasn't particularly skilled on the board, but he did look quite a bit like the actor. The Star Wars theme was fairly rampant. I'm not sure why. I suppose it was the only geek convention in town so they all armored up or donned the old Jedi brown and it was off to walk around the hall, being stopped every few feet by people asking to take their photograph. I only managed to capture one Twilik Jedi and some Storm Troopers besides Mr. Fett trying to do the ramp.
Super Hero's were fairly common. My ability to get em on film ... not so much. We have Wonder Woman. I stared at her a bit. Drool may have formed. There were some women in X gear of some sort. Might have been X - factor.
A Batgirl (who looked a few years beyond girl) stepped up next to a Batman here. My cousins head got in front of some Super hero types, but you can still make out the green lantern and green clad woman on the left. The one and only incredible hulk (aka Lou Ferrigno) was selling autographed shots for 20 dollars. I wasn't about to spend that and I didn't try to sneak a picture. He's still pretty bulky. He also didn't seem very happy with what he was doing.
This brings me to the next item. There were any number of pseudo celebrities. People who played minor roles recently or bigger roles many years ago. There were lines to get autographs from em, but one might wait only a few minutes. It's not like they were the going concern. People sat in line for the comic book artists. The Marvel and the DC booths had lines that would rival any amusement park ride. The only other place I saw people lined up was outside the room the Kevin Smith Question and Answer session was suppose to take place in. We arrived at 10:45 and all the tickets for the event were already gone. If the people already had tickets I can not understand why they felt it necessary to sit outside the room prior to the event. It wasn't until three in the afternoon. That is a lot of wasted convention time waiting to get a good seat.
Anyway this brief excursion has only wet the pallet. I'm thinking the only thing to do is to hit WindyCon 33, to get a room on the party floor and spend as little time actually sleeping in it as humanly possible. Now I only have to get the funding.
More Laters
(oh and check out the rest of pictures at Everyday Absurd)















1 Comments:
you got some good shots
i didnt even see that wonder woman
Post a Comment
<< Home