Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Stormy Weather

So when was it decided that we needed sever thunder storm advisories? Has the nature of the thunder storm changed so much over the past couple decades that we feel people need to be warned about em like some kind of impending nuclear blast? Have studies been done that show that if we scare the daylights out of people they are less likely to go outside during a thunder storm? Perhaps there has been an October people invasion and any time we have a storm we need to be extra vigilant lest soul stealing carnies come into town. (If you don't get that read or watch "Something Wicked This Way Comes." Do it now you uncultured person you).

I wonder if it has anything to do with these giant Doppler radar. All of the networks went out and spend tons of money improving their meteorological abilities and now they need to justify the expense with more than just a more accurate five day outlook. Every time the storms roll through they take whatever show you happen to be watching and turn it into a little box on the corner of your screen so that the they might use the rest of the screen to show information about the weather advisory. They also turn the volume on your show down so that local weather guy can talk at you, just in case you can't read the giant letters taking up the vast majority of the screen.

Cable is even worse. It sounds like an air raid siren is going off. I wonder how many people think some sort of major catastrophe has occurred? Has this large panic inducing noise cause any one to die of fright? One second grandma is watching the golden girls the next she is up in heaven waiting to great em.

What I really want to know is this: What do they expect us to do? It is not like they tell us or anything. Just issue the warning and count on people to figure it out for themselves. I'm already in my home. If I'm watching the advisory on the television I'm not outside exposing myself to risk. Am I suppose to turn off the television ? Should I gather up flashlights and evil carnie fighting supplies? Should I hide in the basement like it was a tornado. Perhaps it should be a pray for salvation advisory. God is smiting us kneel down and pray for the weather to pass.

In summary: Beware the evil carnies. If I'm watching television I'm not out in the thunderstorm. The siren like warning is more terrifying than the storm.

More Laters

4 Comments:

Blogger Cyn said...

Be glad you're not paying for those warnings,...yet

9:35 PM  
Blogger carmilevy said...

I love how they all compete with each other for Doppler supremacy:

Doppler 4000!

Doppler 8,000!!!!

Dopper 14,000!!!!!!!!

Annoying beyond belief...

8:08 PM  
Blogger Shy said...

i believe you can have the warnings sent to your cellphone...reason 364 not to buy a cellphone.

8:24 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

The meteorologists live for any possible moment to shine. Our local weather people recently preempted the national news so they could show us, for 20 minutes straight, the path of the thunderstorm and show us how it traveled. I'm sorry, but I'm a bit more interested in the developing war right now and don't need to watch the thunderstorm track across the screen.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home