Riddle Me This
Why do all the late night talk shows still have the music segment?
So I'm watching Letterman the other day and I see yet another band whose vocalist isn't just not hitting the notes, but not hitting the notes in such a way as to leave one wondering if he is going through puberty right there on stage. Letterman was that sort of baffled look in his eye that screams, "Who in their right minds likes this crap?" while giving the smile that says, "This was your one and only night to shine. You better enjoy it, because I'm never having you on this show again."
Ok maybe I read A little into his expressions, but it was fairly clear that the band wasn't hand picked by em, or that even had much interest in seeing what they were going to do.
So I start thinking sure he may be in the Ed Sullivan Theater, but we are long past the days of the Ed Sullivan Show. Families do not gather before the television to see who is going to be on Letterman (or Leno or O'Brien, Ferguson, Kimmel, etc. ). An album doesn't go platinum or even gold from just one appearance on any of these shows. MTV, VH1, BET and to a lesser extent radio and the internet have that power now.
If the talk shows book a studio band they should least try to give em a studio sound. I remember going to a Smashing Pumpkins concert back in the day. After about three songs Billy Corigan's voice was really starting to go (which is no surprise when half the songs require him to be almost screaming the lyrics) then suddenly his voice improved dramatically as if by miracle. Sure it was the magic of digital remastering, but hey it was a good show anyway and it beats only hearing three songs and then the shows over because the lead singer's voice is shot.
Maybe it is a testament to the state of music. I have no Idea. It has been a long time since I've listened to a top 40 station or an "alternative" station. I tend to doubt this is the case. Kids grow up dreaming of being a rock star. At least some of them have to have some kind of talent.
Anyway my vote is kick the music segment. Let's get some stand up comedians in those spots and start training the talk show replacements.
More Laters
So I'm watching Letterman the other day and I see yet another band whose vocalist isn't just not hitting the notes, but not hitting the notes in such a way as to leave one wondering if he is going through puberty right there on stage. Letterman was that sort of baffled look in his eye that screams, "Who in their right minds likes this crap?" while giving the smile that says, "This was your one and only night to shine. You better enjoy it, because I'm never having you on this show again."
Ok maybe I read A little into his expressions, but it was fairly clear that the band wasn't hand picked by em, or that even had much interest in seeing what they were going to do.
So I start thinking sure he may be in the Ed Sullivan Theater, but we are long past the days of the Ed Sullivan Show. Families do not gather before the television to see who is going to be on Letterman (or Leno or O'Brien, Ferguson, Kimmel, etc. ). An album doesn't go platinum or even gold from just one appearance on any of these shows. MTV, VH1, BET and to a lesser extent radio and the internet have that power now.
If the talk shows book a studio band they should least try to give em a studio sound. I remember going to a Smashing Pumpkins concert back in the day. After about three songs Billy Corigan's voice was really starting to go (which is no surprise when half the songs require him to be almost screaming the lyrics) then suddenly his voice improved dramatically as if by miracle. Sure it was the magic of digital remastering, but hey it was a good show anyway and it beats only hearing three songs and then the shows over because the lead singer's voice is shot.
Maybe it is a testament to the state of music. I have no Idea. It has been a long time since I've listened to a top 40 station or an "alternative" station. I tend to doubt this is the case. Kids grow up dreaming of being a rock star. At least some of them have to have some kind of talent.
Anyway my vote is kick the music segment. Let's get some stand up comedians in those spots and start training the talk show replacements.
More Laters















1 Comments:
I think you read Letterman's expresion to the T. I know the exact look you are speaking of.
Post a Comment
<< Home