Thursday, May 04, 2006

Communicate? Never!

Ok once again I am close to blowing a vessel over something most people don't even think about. What, one may ask, is raising my blood pressure to new extreme and terrifying heights? Zantac.

No, I'm not taking the heartburn medication, though if this goes on much longer I might need to, I am watching their commercial and in it I see the future. I see the future of human communication reduced monosyllabic words.

I don't think there is an entire sentence spoken in the commercial. One scene goes something like this:

Zantac Flunky : Heartburn?

vaguely Ill Looking African American Male : Yeah!

Zantac Flunky : Prescription?

Vaguely Ill Looking African American Make : Slow!

Z F: Zantac Fast!


The entire commercial is about pairing prescription medications with negative words and their product Zantac 75 with words like fast and good. We aren't being sold or informed. I have on idea how their product works. I have no idea what sort of chronic symptoms ought not to be treated with this over the counter medication. I just know that I am suppose to feel good about what they sell and see prescription drugs as bad and probably overpriced. Why see a doctor when I can Feel my way to a medical remedy.

What scares me the most is that it is probably very effective. They run the commercial over and over again. Sure it may not be linking the sex drive to the need to consume their product, but it leaves people feeling apprehensive about prescription heartburn relief. There is an incredible amount of meaning packed into the single syllable. Zantac is fast for people who don't have time to wait and fast to stop the pain. You not only have a remedy you have a fast paced life style. You are one of the important people. Not only that the Zantac person is smart because he or she isn't getting screwed financially by the prescription drug market. No HMO or PPO to worry about just grab a package and take it up to the counter with all that terrible food that doesn't agree with your body or lifestyle.

In Summary: I'm nuts because I say this as yet another sign that we are dumbing down the human race to make better consumers, and it makes me sad/ (This isn't a paranoid conspiracy where colonel sanders and the pope are trying to brainwash humanity, just a direct consequence of always treating people as consumers first).

More Laters

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home