Saturday, April 29, 2006

Chicago Immigration March

So on may first we are going to see an Immigration March here in Chicago. This will definitely be a sight to see, and should I somehow be able to wiggle out of babysitting obligations I'll be down there with a digital camera and my paste white self.

The old man told me that he saw some businesses with signs up that said, "Closed for renovations on May 1st." Rather than admit that their work force wont be at work that day the employers are closing down shop for the day. Maybe there will be a few more pasty white folk like myself out there, just because their job shut down for the day.

Not that I'm going to go all activist. My cynical humor might land me in hot water. Carrying around a sign that says "Arrest the Employers," while certainly expressing outrage that we arrest illegal immigrants and do nothing to those who employ /exploit them, it lacks solidarity with the immigrant. "Fair wages for all workers" another idealistic concept that actually might be out of place at a protest comprising of people who toil well below the idea of the poverty line.

If you read the linked Sun Times story, they are predicting somewhere around 300,000 people. I sure hope that means adults, but I'm betting that means whole families massed together to express their outrage at a government. I don't think we have had that kind of powder keg in Chicago since the 68 Democratic National Convention, accept this time bit the little ones in tow.

I'm curious to see what happens. This is the first real movement I've seen that lasted past the initial outrage. Sure there was a mass march after the initial attack on Iraq. That was the biggest night, right at the beginning. This immigration reform keeps building momentum. People aren't going to sit idly by and watch their relatives and loved ones be rounded up and deported. They will keep acting until they get what they want.

In Summary: Instead of celebrating the 5th of may (cant spell the Spanish version) with a corona and a chalupa from taco bell why not take the day off on May 1st and see history in action. I'm betting it is more fulfilling.

More Laters

1 Comments:

Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Looks like I'm not going tbe able to get down there. When I mentioned it to the crazy lady, she ahd no idea what I was talking about. So little news gets through wehn we have law and order re runs almost 24 / 7.

1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home