Sunday, April 23, 2006

Cell Spam

So I'm rather new to this cell phone thing. I think I've given my number to all of three people and one of them was my brother. I don't expect the phone to wring. I never expect a text message.

So far I've had eight text messages.

The most disturbing, to me at least, was one where the author wrote something like, "I've heard about ur loss" and then goes on to make the usual anything I can due platitude. So obviously this was a wrong number. What irks me is that someone would actually send a cell phone text message as a condolence. God forbid one actually have to have a conversation with the bereaved, or spend money on flowers and a card. No the thought of support maybe a 20 character sentence on a tiny screen where half the words are abbreviated and badly so. "Ur" for Your isn't even bad spelling. It is some kind of phonetic cop out. The ones that really drive me up the wall are the mixed number letter phonetics. "Hope 2 c u 2" Gaaaaaaaaaaah!

The latest bit of text message spam was someone wishing me and my family Happy Easter. No name was signed to the note and I didn't recognize the originating number so I have no idea if I'm somehow remiss in returning a holiday sentiment or if perhaps some body is even now wondering why the message's intended receiver never acknowledged it's receipt. Did some poor fool let their cell number lapse and now I am the recipient of his or her text messages. Good thing they are to busy to actually spend time on the phone or else I'd have to hunt em down for wasting my precious minutes. (not that I use em but who wants to spend em on total strangers).

In Summary,

Text messaging is never, ever acceptable as a means to express condolences. The same number of words hand written on a card mean so much more.(even if they are empty platitudes).

"Ur" should never replace your or you're, Period.

Somebody wished somebody a happy Easter and I thank them for that.

More Laters

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home