Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Poor Edward Bear

Or perhaps it is really poor children of any age who do not hold a special place in their heart for one Edward Bear commonly known as Winnie the Pooh.

So I was talking with a couple children ages around say 9 and 11. I was trying to find out what kind of books they read. During the course of the discussion I brought up A. A Milne's most famous and enduring works, Winnie the Pooh and House at Pooh corner. I thought the would be familiar with these stories, but sadly they were only familiar in the Disney Pooh Bear and not particularly interested in hearing about how wonderful these books are, and how, even at their exalted ages of 9 and 11 they would still find a lot to enjoy in these books.

I think my hear broke a little.

Now the boy was most against it. He wanted to change the subject. He is very close to being 12 years old, almost a man, and has no time for such frivolity. I understand where this sort of macho rejection of the bear comes from and I know I've probably already lost an important window of opportunity. Sure I may be able to interest em in reading something science fiction or sports related, but the boy is entering those hormone years and anything that seems less than manly will be rejected out of hand.

Reading books like Winnie the Pooh or Alice in Wonderland is more than just reading a children's story. It is about personal happiness and well being. It is keeping a certain amount of silliness as part of your character. It is how a thirty one year old man can drink coffee out of an Eeyore Coffee mug.

I wish I could express this better or at least more convincingly to the young man.

More Laters

1 Comments:

Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

I've seen a bit of the old seseme street these days when I'm babysitting baby girl and I gotta say I'm not that impressed. Not much actually happens on the street anymore and the only time you see big bird any more is when he is doing a journey for ernie. Elmo's crayon world thing is pretty much the same every time too.

2:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home