Friday, March 24, 2006

Cabin Fever

The Snow Gods are trying to kill me. As I sit here the wet white stuff falls from the sky and it is still cold out side. The idea of warmth eludes me.

Three days in Texas may have done me in. It was warm. I could wear shorts walk around, breath air that hasn't been pushed around the house half a million times. Sure the place may be filled with a ton of conservatives and the people who built their highway system never heard of a clover leaf, and almost every restaurant specialized in Tex / Mex, but they had the right temperature.

So way back when, in the days before the snows an cold (December or November) I thought to myself, "Our winters have been short and warm. The snows will come. I'll take a few weeks off from my walking, and then jump right back in." Its been months. I've probably put on twenty pounds and my the allergens are starting to kick the old blood pressure up. I need to get out there and start moving. An idle body burns no fat.

But the Snow Gods conspire against me. I don't know what I've done to offend em but they wont let winter leave Chicago and me out and about. I may have to resort to shoving the broken exercise bike of to the side, closing a door, playing some loud music and doing sit ups, push up (singular) weights on the mat and (god forbid) using the stair master we bought as a stepping stool way back when the mother couldn't climb in and out of the car without assistance.

now one might say, kinda late in the day to be making that call, perhaps I should have leaped right into some sort of indoor training routine either than months of inactivity. They would be right. My excuse (which may be poor but is always better than no excuse) is that indoor exercise requires too much of my mind. One must pay attention to weights or to repetitions. One must count and be aware. While walking I can mostly set the body on auto pilot and use the time creatively to plan my writing, or imagine possible endings to whatever I am currently reading. I can escape not only my house but the world for a while. Inside it is tedious and boring. One and two and breath and turn. Someone just shoot me.

In summary: The Snow Gods hate me. Three months of no exercise makes the a man flabby. Indoor exercise is boring.

More Laters

1 Comments:

Blogger portuguesa nova said...

1. Despite its politics, Texas is lovely for the weather alone. Imagine living in a place that was never cold.

2. My exercise is done in my basement, and I've been using that cold weather excuse too, so don't feel bad.

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home