It's Spring In Texas
It is green in Texas at least in Huntsville, Texas. Besides that I couldn't see any real landscape difference between the area there and any place in Illinois south of Chicago. Perhaps the soil it seemed to be drier and made up of more sand particles.
Then you talk to the people and they all have that distinctly Texan sound. It isn't a redneck sound. You can get that in any northern state. Heck stick me in a rural Illinois town for more then a couple days and I come out sounding like I've found home. The voice that most leapt to mind when I heard one woman speak was Brett Butler.
At first glance it was quite pleasant.
Then we went to the local version of a Borders or Barnes & Nobel. I didn't actually need any books. My carry on bag was filled to the brim, but I can never pass up the opportunity. You never know what might have found it's way to the bargain table.
So I'm browsing the "novels" section. This place doesn't have a literature or fiction section just one huge area called novels. I had already hit the 4 aisles of Science fiction and found my fun reading. It was time to find something Challenging. I thought perhaps something by Ken Kesey. It's been a while since I read One flew over the cuckoo's Nest and Sometimes a Great Notion has been sitting half read in my box of guilt for a number of years. I figured a different book of his might give me the proper run up I need to get over the character problems that bother me from that book and to actually finish it.
All that is buy way of explaining how I got to the area in the book store where Ken Kesey ought to have been and found it missing. Since I was already in the "K" Section I figured perhaps another book by Jack Kerouac. No such luck. Now I was starting to wonder if perhaps I had missed the "literature" section I went around the store in search. I found no literature. I did find four aisles marked "Christian reading." The Jesus fish symbol was all over this area. I went back the "novels."
The only book by William S. Burroughs was "Junky." There was only one copy.
Joseph Heller had both Catch - 22 and Closing Time on display. One copy of each. There were maybe 10 Kurt Vonnegut Books on the shelf, but half of those were Slaughter House Five.
So I wandered over to the "Poetry" section. There were three shelves. A number of the "cowboy" poetry books were turned sideways taking up additional shelf space to display the covers. I actually found a Charles Buckowski book of poetry that I don't own, but thought it best to leave it in Texas where it might make a bigger difference.
In Summary. The weather was great in Texas. The people have that beautiful Texan accent. There book store scares me.
More Laters
Then you talk to the people and they all have that distinctly Texan sound. It isn't a redneck sound. You can get that in any northern state. Heck stick me in a rural Illinois town for more then a couple days and I come out sounding like I've found home. The voice that most leapt to mind when I heard one woman speak was Brett Butler.
At first glance it was quite pleasant.
Then we went to the local version of a Borders or Barnes & Nobel. I didn't actually need any books. My carry on bag was filled to the brim, but I can never pass up the opportunity. You never know what might have found it's way to the bargain table.
So I'm browsing the "novels" section. This place doesn't have a literature or fiction section just one huge area called novels. I had already hit the 4 aisles of Science fiction and found my fun reading. It was time to find something Challenging. I thought perhaps something by Ken Kesey. It's been a while since I read One flew over the cuckoo's Nest and Sometimes a Great Notion has been sitting half read in my box of guilt for a number of years. I figured a different book of his might give me the proper run up I need to get over the character problems that bother me from that book and to actually finish it.
All that is buy way of explaining how I got to the area in the book store where Ken Kesey ought to have been and found it missing. Since I was already in the "K" Section I figured perhaps another book by Jack Kerouac. No such luck. Now I was starting to wonder if perhaps I had missed the "literature" section I went around the store in search. I found no literature. I did find four aisles marked "Christian reading." The Jesus fish symbol was all over this area. I went back the "novels."
The only book by William S. Burroughs was "Junky." There was only one copy.
Joseph Heller had both Catch - 22 and Closing Time on display. One copy of each. There were maybe 10 Kurt Vonnegut Books on the shelf, but half of those were Slaughter House Five.
So I wandered over to the "Poetry" section. There were three shelves. A number of the "cowboy" poetry books were turned sideways taking up additional shelf space to display the covers. I actually found a Charles Buckowski book of poetry that I don't own, but thought it best to leave it in Texas where it might make a bigger difference.
In Summary. The weather was great in Texas. The people have that beautiful Texan accent. There book store scares me.
More Laters















1 Comments:
That does sound scary. I feel bad for any kids that may be limited to such a book store.
Post a Comment
<< Home