Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Guinness Season

So the advertisers have me perplexed again. Apparently its is the St. Patty's Day Season now. The Good people at Guinness (May they always prosper and brew their heavenly elixer) have commercials in rotation trying to push up their beer sales for the holiday. This I understand. If everyone is going to get snot nosed drunk celebrating Irish heritage the might as well do it drinking a proper Irish beer. (Irish whiskey is also perfectly acceptable). Budweiser and Miller just had their football Holiday and they get most of the rest of the year. The huddled masses need to be encouraged to take part of a stout or even a lager like Harp.

What I don't understand is this entire season thing. I started seeing the commercials sometime around St. Valentines day. This would make it almost a month long "season." Except somewhere in the middle we have mardis gras and then the beginning of lent. The Lent thing should really discourage the entire St. Patty's Day season thing. People get their drunken fill during mardis gras and then they are suppose to sacrifice until Easter. (This is my 12 years of catholic schooling talking here). Sure a cardinal may give a dispensation to eat corned beef if the Holiday ends up on a Friday (the traditional day to abstain from meat during lent) but I've never heard em say stock up on the good stuff and serve it as often as possible in the weeks surrounding the holiday.

Heck If I wasn't going out of town for the Holiday itself I probably would consider getting trashed on the day itself. (I'd consider it, but probably decline Have the drinking habits of a man who spent three years working in a bar, but the tolerance of a man who hasn't been drunk for a couple of years. That is a recipe for alcohol poisoning). I was always big for starting the day with an Irish coffee and then watching the sun come up on the morning after with the final beverage of the celebration.

I just hate to see this become yet another mass marketing extravaganza. It could go to far. We could have wild turkey and Jack Daniels sponsoring St. Patty's Day events right along side Corona and Absolute. Some guy will be peeing in an alley sipping a martinis without even bothering to mumble something about Ireland.

In Summary: Guinness is good for you. There is no such thing as a St. Patty's Day season. When peeing in an alley proper etiquette has one hand holding up your weight on the wall and the other is either aiming or with the proper training holding your drink and or cigarette. (The cigarette can also be tucked into the corner of the mouth provided you don't gum it too much and get the filter soggy).

More Laters

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home