Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Another Plaster Corpse

So after you've seen five or six plaster casts of volcanic ash covered body it dawns on you that this is some pretty creep stuff. We went to the Field museum to check out the Pompeii exhibit. It was the old man's day off and a free day at the museum. You can't beat that with a stick.

The older casts weren't all that bad. (When I say older I mean these casts were made over a hundred years before I was born). It wasn't exactly a science then. You get these vaguely humanoid shapes. Their possessions mostly identified them as master or servant, male or female. This human shaped blob was seated in a corner. This one collapsed on stairs. Many hand masses of fused coins in their possession.

Then there is the modern cast. Holy creepy doom bat man. A whole floor areas of skeletons huddled together. You can almost see the agony. And if this image wasn't enough there are plenty of places that keep reminding of the super hot ash, mud and air that killed almost instantly. (They say mercifully quick. I say, "ouch fire.")

Ok maybe I was a little too weirded out. Still the jewelry and tools are wonders to behold. There was this one intricate leaf necklace we were checking out that must have been some master craftsman's masterwork. The lady in front of us heard us commenting on it and said, "I would wear it." Hell with all that gold leaf I'd probably be willing to sport it. (after it had been shined up a bit of course.)

The frescoes and the video showing what the architecture would have been like had me drooling too. I want a monstrously huge villa. That open air courtyard design is just something you don't see in the Midwest. Frigid winters robbing us architecture I say.

Unfortunately that exhibit was the extent of our visit today. (Arrived after 2:00 P.M. at a museum that closes at 5:00 p.m.) I may have to kidnap the Shy or some other bored party and make another visit soon. All I ever see there is the featured exhibit, the washroom and the second half of the Egypt exhibit that is located across from the washrooms. (mummified falcons and vultures and kitties oh my).

More Laters

1 Comments:

Blogger Shy said...

oooh oooh oooh. Kidnapp the shy, kidnapp the shy.
Is the dinosaur exhibit finished yet? Last time I was there, with the exception of the trex in the foyer thingy, it was closed off. I am friggin' flipping out waiting to see the finished product.

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home