Saturday, July 01, 2006

Plea For Sanity

Please, oh gods of the network news services, hear my plea!

Please, Oh please, can we stop treating celebrity nonsense as actual news.


Why must I hear about Brad and Angelina on the ten o'clock news? I know that good people from Access Hollywood, Extra and People magazine will follow them everywhere they go. Is it really so amazing that two people in Hollywood have managed to reproduce?

Why must I hear about Star Jones and Barbara Walters day after day. I know that all the late night talk show hosts are treating this as the second coming of Monica Lewinski. I expect this. Give a bunch of male talk show hosts the opportunity to make fun a female talk show and they will be all over it like flies on fecal matter. I don't understand why the six o'clock news needs to play a tape from the Ryan Secrest radio show and treat it like you are hearing some kind of 911 call just released by a judge.

Do I really need to know that Britney Spears is going to appear pregnant and naked atop the cover of a magazine that I will never read. Is this important? Will it affect trade or foreign policy. Will her somewhat rounded belly divine the location of Osama Binladen? Is it really surprising that a young girl with limited education who has spent a good portion of her life singing and touring, acts like a redneck. Sure she may be musically gifted and pleasing to the eye, but she is about as sophisticated as your stereotypical Nascar racing fan.

There are so many things that I want to know, that I have to hunt down on internet news sites or through the ripples of the blog ether. Can't we just let the news magazine shows cover the celebrity crap and let the regular news outlets cover things that might actually touch our lives?

More Laters

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said! This is a post I wish I had written, as I totally and completely agree with it!

Makes me love our modded XBox even more. :-D No news except for news from the RSS feed we want to watch (usually CNN or MSNBC), and no commercials, too!

4:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home