Monday, January 17, 2005

From The Box of Guilt

So Chicago is terrible cold and I haven't been able to get to the book store in a while and what with the kid on the way (my brothers not mine) and Christmas and all that noise I thought It might not be the best time to hit up the parents for an Amazon order. So it was either re read one of the many books I've read two or three times already (or maybe only once but decide once was more than enough) or I could dip into my box of guilt (there are actually 2 boxes now). These are the books I've been meaning to read or have started and set aside but am unwilling to consign to the I'm done with this pile.

The most engaging was something I found on a bargain rack and bought because it was a hard bound book by Ernest Hemingway. It is True at First Light : A Fictional Memoir. I had never heard of the books but was excited to see an account of one of his trips to Africa. I've read more about him than by him because I usually find the characters in his stories have such a hard time communicating with each other. He does such a great job of showing these disfunctional people that I just don't like to read it. As the book is about the Author I thought I might give it a try. I'm about half way through and each page goes tortorously slow. Some nights I put it down only after a page or a paragraph (I'm normally a person who reads at least fifty pages at a stretch). The man had such an odd relationship with his wife of the time, even if it is a fictional autobiography it shows a lot about him.

The other book I go to from time to time is Visions of Cody by Jack Kerouac. I have a couple difficulties with this piece. My first problem is the dense stream of thought writing style. Every word is important and there really isn't much dialogue to break up the giant run on paragraphs. The book is sectioned into major divisions but there are now smaller divisions. You can Easily read a hundred pages wondering where would be a good place to put the book down so as not to loose ones place. (Actually you cant easily read the hundred pages but you get my meaning). Secondly I identify very much with the way the main character (Kerouac) as he is portrayed in his own writing and knowing where he goes with his life sometimes I want to stop him and know that I cannot. My final problem Later on in Sections of the book I haven't yet read it is basically a transcription of Audio tapes Kerouac made with various other beats and while it is interesting to see what they said I would so much rather hear those tapes than read a script.

There are more books in the Box of Guilt but that is what I'm looking at now and of course I recommend that everyone else read them as well so that I can further the Master Plan (to take over the world) by getting people to think like me by making them experience the same media I have.

More Laters

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home