Saturday, September 11, 2004

Too many choices

All of this started when I was quite young. For me, it started with Suave haircare products. From Strawberry to Apple to that beigish colored one for daily product removal, Suave has always had a lot to offer—but now it’s worse. I can’t even begin to name all of the different smelling Suave shampoos and conditioners there are. You can even take the fragrance personality test to find which scent is best for you.

Moving on from shampoos comes toothpaste and toothbrushes. Fidel Castro and I once discussed this problem. Not only can you buy a countless number of mint toothpastes but now they come in cinnamon, citrus, peppermint, and even children’s flavors. Add to that that each has a brother that is for whitening and the number doubles. The latest is the toothpaste with the breath strips in it. Sort of redundant, I think. Hell, there are even special toothpastes for vegans (I had no idea toothpaste could contain vegan offending substances) and toothpastes for our naturalists.

Then come the toothbrushes. There have always been the Reach toothbrushes (or at least as far as I can remember). Then there are the ones with the flossers, the rubber strips for whitening, the crisscross action bristles, multi length bristles, different angled heads, the extra grip handles, the gizzilion different colors and handle shapes, small, medium and large sizes, ones with replacement indicators (oral b), and don’t even get me started on the world of electric toothbrushes (which I’ve heard can double as vibrators—haven’t tried that one yet…..,)

Don’t even get me started on that annoying commercial with the idiots in the train station saying “swoosh ahh, swoosh ahh”, (or whatever they are saying).

Moving on, there are also many types of ant killers. From those that have the food ants prefer, two foods that ants prefer, the taste that attracts ants, claims of killing the queen fast, and so forth, there are many selections. I for one would like to meet the taste testing ants (though I’m guessing they are dead). Not only are there the traps with several choices of delicious flavors, there are many methods. The bait traps, sticky sheets, sprays, foggers, powders, and even high decibel things that you plug into the wall to deter them exist.

Just when you think you are safe, even Elmers glue is chock full of choices. You can choose from a variety of colors, some that dry clear, some that retain their color, glue with several choices of glitter, and even scented glue (for the true glue eating enthusiasts).

My latest problem with choices came when I went to buy a facial moisturizer. This is the second time that walmart has magically stopped carrying a brand that I liked. One would think that selecting a new one would be easy but man are there a lot of choices. We have moisturizers plus astringents, wrinkle removers, those with sunscreen, those for tightening and toning, those that include acne medication, and even pore reducers. I can’t really begin to name all of the types of choices. I just want a noncomodegenic moisturizer with sunscreen, preferably unscented.

Other products on my list are laundry detergents, body soaps (dial has an extensive selection), shaving cream, kitty litter, candles, toilet bowl cleaners, cereal in general, and even yogurt has zillions of flavors (most recent, vanilla pear). Did I mention that our pets have more food selections that the people in Afghanistan? We even have the option of pop-top lids on our pet food.

My point is that we live in a country with too many choices. Choices are good but not to the point where they complicate our lives and cause us to stay an extra hour at the store.

on a lighter note, we have fat-free, spray butter. a blessed country indeed.


5 Comments:

Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

I tried the suave test for a couple questions but the music and the questions broke my real fast. I had to pull out before irreperable damage was done.

What A great post. I think I'll juet leave this one sit up on top for a day an publish tomorrow.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Yes, a great post indeed.

But you didn't get a chance to touch upon that green ketchup. And the blue french fries. You can also get chocolate french fries and fries with cinnamon on them. Sounds yucky, but apparently kids love them.

10:38 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

BTW: my fragrance personality is fruity. That is fitting, since I'm kinda fruity myself.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I go into overload in the art supply shop. Pencils come in so many varieties, different degrees of hardness, mechanical, and some with no wood case. Colors come in even more types: oil pastels, chalk pastels, colored pencils, watercolor pencils, crayons, conte crayons, water-soluble oil pastels, and then all the kinds of paint. I want to buy it all, but first, I need a new sketchbook. To go with my 25 (not exaggerating) other sketchbooks.
You're right though. Too many choices. Someone should sue.

12:55 AM  
Blogger Shy said...

Just a blog from the heart. I am indecisive by nature, further worsening the effect of all of the choices I have to make.
I did forget about the colored catsup. Now I have to pick red or green. …speaking of, there are far too many types of mustard out there.

I also forgot about the plethora of pens and pencils to choose from. Gel ink is out since I am left handed and that crap smears to no end. From .5 to .7 led, number 2 pencils and number 7 pencils, to my personal favorite, the Dixon Ticonderoga (http://www.pencilpages.com/gallery/dixon2.htm). —those yellow ones with the double band of green foil below the eraser –there are endless choices when it comes to pens and pencils.

Oh, and my fragrance personality turns out to be “fresh scents”—whatever that might mean. I have milk and honey conditioner with freesia shampoo in the bathroom right now.

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home