Dr. David is either oblivious or lying to himself
I decided that it would be best for me to wait a day or three after I listened to the self help tapes in order for me to get over any initial shock. Self-help is a scary place. Why? To me, it seems that the first tape that I’m going to discuss would make matter s worse. Why? Because it’s some crazyassed horseshit. This guy is a royal nut bag. But I’ll let you decide.
Day one: GET ANYONE To Do ANYTING and NEVER feel Powerless Again, by David J. Lieberan, Ph.D. First things first, the voice. Read by the author, this mans voice—well, lets say he sounds something between a hypnotist and a doctor of a psyc. ward trying to sooth an insane forty year old woman who just found out that the piece of steak she was talking to was really just a month old piece of steak and that she was going to have to throw it out.
Secondly, the man insists that this audiotape is not about manipulation. I’d like to disagree. I shall use a few quotes “influence a persons natural state to emerge” “Through these simple techniques, tactics, and strategies, you can get anyone to do….” ““Specific Psychological tactics governing human behavior to let you out smart out think any one anywhere anytime” “by using the principles that govern human behavior”, and none of these things involve manipulation. Horsy shit.
Thirdly, Dr. David tells as that throughout the tape, he will interchange the terms he and she to “make the language less sexist and to indicate that the techniques are not gender specific”. Those who know me know that I am far from feminist and that I don’t give a damn about the use of he/she when making generalizations. Man indicates mankind, which I am a part of, enough said. What I am getting at is that the situations that he uses she in are situations that are stereotypical of weak defenseless females/ and mega bitches. If I picked up on the fact that the language was indeed (in at least part) sexist, anyone can.
So, what sort of information does this doctor give us? Not much. Little tips such as mimicking behavior (tone and speed of voice, hand gestures) to gain favor of the person you are talking to, spreading a rumor that you respect and like someone you are having trouble with/can’t seem to manipulate, in order to gain their favor—shit like that. Sure it probably works. But this isn’t the bad part.
The bad parts. How to attract people, how to gain forgiveness, how to protect yourself. I have never once heard that getting a girl on the rebound was a good idea unit this guy. But, Dr. David suggests that the best way to get a girl out of your league is to get her while she’s on the rebound. Why? Because her ego is wounded and she will be more likely to date those who she would not normally go out with. Dr. David tells how to make anyone find you “irresistibly attractive”. He gives tips on how to “over ride a persons ideas for what he finds attractive” (nope, no manipulation here); I shall provide you with some quotes:
Tactic one: Engage in an activity with this person where emotional arousal is high. This single tactic will be responsible for getting you more dates than any outfit or high-powered job ever will. It’s a foundation of human behavior that when our body produces adrenaline feelings of attractions to those present and sexual desire result….. Fear, excitement, exercise, generates and intensifies passionate feelings……scary movies, amusement park rides, even physical exercise, his arousal in part will be attributed t the person he is with. In effect, the arousal he feels gets translated into sexual desire and arousal. The next time you see a couple who appears to be mismatched, asked where they met. Chances are good that they met under circumstances where arousal was high. Maybe at the gym or while one person, usually the better looking of the two, was apprehensive, nervous or excited about something.
Skip some shit on walking styles….’cause it’s dull......Yoga will dramatically improve your posture
Tactic Two: "Did you know that gazing into a persons eyes can actually make the individual fall in love with you. That’s the conclusion of numerous studies on attractions and romantic love (he fails to credit these studies and treats it like common knowledge)—so look people directly in the eyes while speaking and while listening. By doing so, you will engage this psychological phenomenon without being obvious "(just down right creepy).
Tactic Three "Here’s a tactic to use if your own beauty is limited as it will allow you to be seen initially (think carriage into pumpkin?) more attractive than you might appear. This one gets good. “A study correlating self esteem and attraction showed that a women who is introduced to a man will find him more attractive if her own self esteem has been temporarily injured.” Holy fuck, this man is unbelievable. “Should you become aware that this person has recently suffered rejection, you should know that you would appear more attractive to her than if her self esteem were in high gear”. I am not pulling your chain, I am quoting this man straight from the tape.
Ok, I’m getting tired already and I have a lot to share. Hopefully, by providing you with oodles of this man’s craziness, I’ve gained your trust. In gaining ones forgiveness, you don’t have to be sincere, just seem like you are. Be sure to say that you are indeed sorry and while doing so, make her feel like she has the power to forgive or not forgive—by hurting her feelings, you have taken away her power. Merely by pretending to submit like a dog, you will begin to gain her trust. Always be sure to assure her that the situation will never happen again (he used being late and cheating). He also suggested that you blame the lie on fear. If you appear to have acted irrationally out of fear “I thought you would hate me if you found out that….””I was afraid that you would fire me if you knew that…” (and so on), the person will more likely to take pity on you and forgive you.
Now the final part of the tape instructs women on how to escape from a rapist.
Some of his suggestions were to (if you knew the attacker) to act like you wanted him to have sex with you and to carry out at least a minor act in order to gain his trust then, INJURE HIM and ESCAPE. If you don’t know the assailant, you may still be able to convince them that this rape is you fantasy. You should give a big, broad smile, and try and instruct him on what to do. Then, when the moment is right, INUJURE HIM and escape. This just scares me. Now I will give Dr. Dave credit. He also suggests to vomit, belch or urinate to deter an attacker. I could see these things as working. These are the same tactics I learned during stranger danger week as a five year old— scream, vomit on the stranger and run away or hit him in the nose, neck, insoles or crotch.
That pretty much sums up that hour of listening. I’m just appalled that he insists that his formulas, tactics, techniques and strategies are not manipulative in nature. i can only half assed think about what an already screwed up individual will take away from this tape and it isn't pretty....funny, but not pretty.
Day one: GET ANYONE To Do ANYTING and NEVER feel Powerless Again, by David J. Lieberan, Ph.D. First things first, the voice. Read by the author, this mans voice—well, lets say he sounds something between a hypnotist and a doctor of a psyc. ward trying to sooth an insane forty year old woman who just found out that the piece of steak she was talking to was really just a month old piece of steak and that she was going to have to throw it out.
Secondly, the man insists that this audiotape is not about manipulation. I’d like to disagree. I shall use a few quotes “influence a persons natural state to emerge” “Through these simple techniques, tactics, and strategies, you can get anyone to do….” ““Specific Psychological tactics governing human behavior to let you out smart out think any one anywhere anytime” “by using the principles that govern human behavior”, and none of these things involve manipulation. Horsy shit.
Thirdly, Dr. David tells as that throughout the tape, he will interchange the terms he and she to “make the language less sexist and to indicate that the techniques are not gender specific”. Those who know me know that I am far from feminist and that I don’t give a damn about the use of he/she when making generalizations. Man indicates mankind, which I am a part of, enough said. What I am getting at is that the situations that he uses she in are situations that are stereotypical of weak defenseless females/ and mega bitches. If I picked up on the fact that the language was indeed (in at least part) sexist, anyone can.
So, what sort of information does this doctor give us? Not much. Little tips such as mimicking behavior (tone and speed of voice, hand gestures) to gain favor of the person you are talking to, spreading a rumor that you respect and like someone you are having trouble with/can’t seem to manipulate, in order to gain their favor—shit like that. Sure it probably works. But this isn’t the bad part.
The bad parts. How to attract people, how to gain forgiveness, how to protect yourself. I have never once heard that getting a girl on the rebound was a good idea unit this guy. But, Dr. David suggests that the best way to get a girl out of your league is to get her while she’s on the rebound. Why? Because her ego is wounded and she will be more likely to date those who she would not normally go out with. Dr. David tells how to make anyone find you “irresistibly attractive”. He gives tips on how to “over ride a persons ideas for what he finds attractive” (nope, no manipulation here); I shall provide you with some quotes:
Tactic one: Engage in an activity with this person where emotional arousal is high. This single tactic will be responsible for getting you more dates than any outfit or high-powered job ever will. It’s a foundation of human behavior that when our body produces adrenaline feelings of attractions to those present and sexual desire result….. Fear, excitement, exercise, generates and intensifies passionate feelings……scary movies, amusement park rides, even physical exercise, his arousal in part will be attributed t the person he is with. In effect, the arousal he feels gets translated into sexual desire and arousal. The next time you see a couple who appears to be mismatched, asked where they met. Chances are good that they met under circumstances where arousal was high. Maybe at the gym or while one person, usually the better looking of the two, was apprehensive, nervous or excited about something.
Skip some shit on walking styles….’cause it’s dull......Yoga will dramatically improve your posture
Tactic Two: "Did you know that gazing into a persons eyes can actually make the individual fall in love with you. That’s the conclusion of numerous studies on attractions and romantic love (he fails to credit these studies and treats it like common knowledge)—so look people directly in the eyes while speaking and while listening. By doing so, you will engage this psychological phenomenon without being obvious "(just down right creepy).
Tactic Three "Here’s a tactic to use if your own beauty is limited as it will allow you to be seen initially (think carriage into pumpkin?) more attractive than you might appear. This one gets good. “A study correlating self esteem and attraction showed that a women who is introduced to a man will find him more attractive if her own self esteem has been temporarily injured.” Holy fuck, this man is unbelievable. “Should you become aware that this person has recently suffered rejection, you should know that you would appear more attractive to her than if her self esteem were in high gear”. I am not pulling your chain, I am quoting this man straight from the tape.
Ok, I’m getting tired already and I have a lot to share. Hopefully, by providing you with oodles of this man’s craziness, I’ve gained your trust. In gaining ones forgiveness, you don’t have to be sincere, just seem like you are. Be sure to say that you are indeed sorry and while doing so, make her feel like she has the power to forgive or not forgive—by hurting her feelings, you have taken away her power. Merely by pretending to submit like a dog, you will begin to gain her trust. Always be sure to assure her that the situation will never happen again (he used being late and cheating). He also suggested that you blame the lie on fear. If you appear to have acted irrationally out of fear “I thought you would hate me if you found out that….””I was afraid that you would fire me if you knew that…” (and so on), the person will more likely to take pity on you and forgive you.
Now the final part of the tape instructs women on how to escape from a rapist.
Some of his suggestions were to (if you knew the attacker) to act like you wanted him to have sex with you and to carry out at least a minor act in order to gain his trust then, INJURE HIM and ESCAPE. If you don’t know the assailant, you may still be able to convince them that this rape is you fantasy. You should give a big, broad smile, and try and instruct him on what to do. Then, when the moment is right, INUJURE HIM and escape. This just scares me. Now I will give Dr. Dave credit. He also suggests to vomit, belch or urinate to deter an attacker. I could see these things as working. These are the same tactics I learned during stranger danger week as a five year old— scream, vomit on the stranger and run away or hit him in the nose, neck, insoles or crotch.
That pretty much sums up that hour of listening. I’m just appalled that he insists that his formulas, tactics, techniques and strategies are not manipulative in nature. i can only half assed think about what an already screwed up individual will take away from this tape and it isn't pretty....funny, but not pretty.















1 Comments:
Financial gain. Where do I sign up. I think I can swallow the guilt. Perhaps We ough to focus on maing our own self help thingy. WHat do we help people do though?
Post a Comment
<< Home