Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Barrista Begging

So I'm sent into Starbucks to get mom her Vente decaf skim milk latte and while I'm thinking, "Did I get that right?" and "Did she get that right?" and also, "What's the point of a Vente decaf skim milk latte? Calcium?" I notice a large transparent container that is filled with money sitting next to the register.  Then I notice the people in front of me mindlessly dumping money into this thing like it is the take a penny leave a penny dish.  This isn't the first time I've seen this either.  All the coffee shops in Beverly have a similar arraignment and as I go in these place quite a bit I know that it is usually the owner taking my order!

So my question is: Why are we tipping these people?  Are we saying, "Hey thanks for not screwing up my order, or at least not so much that I can notice."  You tip a waiter or waitress because they come to your table, they take your order and deliver your food, they check on your needs periodically and their salary reflects the fact that they are earning tips.   A Barrista's pay is not tip dependent.  They are getting minimum wage at the very least and often a bit more than that.  They don't report their tips as income because their employers are not reporting these additional wages.  This is untaxed income!  I bet your restaurant server would love to be able to make the same claim.  "What me no I don't get tips. I just work here for the satisfaction of earning half minimum wage.  It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling deep in my heart."  The private cafe owners who have a begging cup just make me crazy.   When they are working they don't even have the expense of an employee so that cuts down their operating costs right there.  Then they just smile and say thank you as people drop money in the cup like they aren't already making enough off the over priced coffee drink.  It's just plain wrong.

Now the money in question on an individual basis isn't all that much that I begrudge these people this un taxed bit of luxury.  (Though taken as a whole I bet it is a substantial amount of cash and the IRS will be wanting to get on top of it real soon).  It is just that these people aren't doing anything special for yas to get the cash.  Hey give me a couple extra shots of chocolate in my mocha and maybe we are talking about something.  Throw me the occasional senior discount or something.    My bartender earns my money from by basically stealing booze from his or her employer for me.  Cafe Baristas need to get their act together and start think a little more about how can I make these customers really happy if they want my cash.  Just pushing a few buttons and making proper change does not earn a tip from me.

Following this line of tipping logic do I have to start giving the cashier at McDonalds a little something - something if I want my food fresh?  At the drive through screen do I have to tell the guy that there is a fiver in it for him if he doesn't mess up my order.  Do I give the checker at the Jewel a couple of bucks for taking my coupons?  Do I give a janitor a sawbuck when I see em mopping the john?

This way lies service extortion and I want no part of it.  Next time you see the old Barista Begging cup put a little note in there that says, "Are you reporting this income?  I am."  This will scare em straight!

More Laters

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home