Monday, July 19, 2004

Here Kitty Kitty Kitty

Now here is a cat.

Here Kitty Kitty Kitty! Posted by Hello

We went to the Brookfield Zoo today and let me tell yas, mid summer is not the time to make this trip.  First off the place is packed with day camps and day groups and what nots.  Bunches  of kids who run up to the rail and wont get out of the way and me being so big I feel guilty if I block anybodies view for very long.  Then there are all the families.  Mom's with a stroller or a Radio Flyer wagon and a couple extra kids running along.  Maybe  planned parenthood needs to set up a booth at the zoo.  I swear I saw more than one pregnant woman pushing a stroller with a couple more in tow.
 
All the Mom's wear wearing skin tight tank tops and for the most part this agrees with me.  Occasionally, unfortunately, you get the people who come by, as large as me or larger, waving their lycra enhanced cellulose about.  Really though I gotta say for the most part I enjoyed the view.  I think it was bras optional day. Yay!
 
Next summer bad zoo thing.  Wow is it hot.  Not just outdoors either.  The habitats aren't air conditioned because that is not natural.  So what happens when you have a warm building filled with mammals?  They stink really, really bad.  Humid fecal fragrant air ripe with pungent urine aftertastes.  Yuck.  In the fall the cool air helps to suppress the smell but come the summer make sure that you don't go in unless you can stomach the smell.  It makes wet dog smell pleasant.
 
The picture shows about as much motion as we saw in the animals the whole time.  The animals are smart.  They say, "The sun is out what are you idiots doing walking about.  Grab yourself a bit of shade and take a nap."  I think the only reason we saw this guy move was that the sun had shifted over head while he slept and it was time to find a new shady spot.  The animals are just plain lethargic in this heat.  No animation.  No roars. Just sleepy time. 
 
There are good things about Brookfield Zoo also.  First off the dolphin show at the zoo beats the porpoise show at Shedd hands down.  Better tricks, better seating and a better announcer.  No stupid play acting.  Next, the place is huge so they have a ton of exhibits.  Even if a few of the animals were hiding out today there was plenty to see.  The landscaping is something to behold.  Beautiful trees and lawns and flowers everywhere with special stuff in each of the habitats to make the beasties feel at home.
 
So the Zoo is great but I'd make it a spring fall or winter trip if yas want to see the beasties do much more than lie there.
 
More Laters


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home