Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Neurosis For All

So I've been flipping through various blogs. I never hit the random link buttons. I know my luck. I hit random and I'm guaranteed to get some teenager whining about how life is so terrible and how their parents suck and whaaa whaaaa whaaaa. As if these kids have lived long enough to be down on life yet. They'll never make it through a mid life crisis. Or maybe they are getting ready for their big Jerry Springer moment. If it's not whiny, there is the terrible chance of hitting the L337 aka leet short for elite which is garbage unreadable pre teen crap. Some punk who can almost certainly kick my hind end in any video game I care to try to beat em in. Oh no the pre teen beat me what ever will I do. Idiots. The worse part of that idiot child subculture being of course the rampant homophobia noticed in the constant use of 'ghey' what they use to get around filters to call people gay. As if that is the worse possible thing they can thing of calling another person.

So random is not the thing for me. I browse through the little two sentence blog descriptions to see what might strike my interest. This of course makes me think that my little bit at the top could use some work but I haven't thought of anything profound enough yet. I find my self naturally drawn to sites done by women. I analyze my motivation and see it part single male on the prowl part fascination with the quirks of the female mind.

Next I'm basically sticking to the Midwest. I could really careless about most of the east coast and I've yet to find the west coast blog home of the stars of the adult film industry. Though I wonder if those would be along the lines of many of the vapid Midwest ones of come across. I swear their are any number of empty headed people who while they find they have nothing to say manage to fill about a paragraph of space on a daily basis. They have archives going back years and you have to wonder how that much text can hold so little thought. Do their co workers and family mock them as I would. Are they completely without shame or do they really think people care about what color ink they used to print the document today?

Then there are the depressed people. This doesn't surprise me. Misery loves company and almost every therapist wants you to write down your feelings. It's a pretty simple equation. Misserable people go on at length and then eat up all the pity they get in the comments section. If I were more evilly and less feaful of retribution I might go from site to site adding the comment, "Get over it moron." While I know depression is clinical I see no reason the rest of uss need to wade through their muck.

There is a very curious breed I'm not very sure how to take. They publish their own poetry on their websites. I think it's the snob in me but really I think people really ought to let an editor glance at their works before subjecting the masses to it. Sometimes I style myself a poet. Not much of late, but I still have my pretensions and I think I just couldn't do it. I'd rather face rejection from a press than just self publish and be proud. The few things I have published on other people's sites I look at now and think to myself it would probably be best if those poems just went away. No one needs to see them. They could use a hell of a lot of work. They could use Nortons Recycle Bin.

Straight political blogs don't interest me. They resemble either rants against the opposing party or a sort of People magazine about political figures. Who is Al Gore having lunch with? How much does President Bush make in this fundraiser? Uninspired rumor mongering and tripe. I keep wondering when people will get involved in the process and quit complaining about how things are going.

One of my favorite authors William Gibson had a blog for a while between the publication of his last novel and the time he started on his current project. It was a pretty good read as he is a talented man but it wasn't as satisfying as his books and in his final blog he said the act of blogging kept him from working on a novel. It took of the same creativity. So he no longer blogs but I can not say that I miss it. I know there will be a book to read and that is truly something to anticipate.

So the blogs for me are usually smart or funny or both and they usually talk about things Midwestern or things Chicago. (While these things are similar they aren't exactly the same.) So I'll never get into that lazy habit of copy verbatim from others. I see it everywhere. Just add a link and say your piece! I may occasionally point you the way of another blog and maybe I'll put up a list of the truly neurotic that we can all voyeuristically look at and say , "Gee, I'm glad that's not me."

More Later

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home