Illinois Gambling
So I got dragged out to Joliet today. Mom and Aunt were off to the boats, so the old man volunteered to drive them and I was volunteered to keep him company in the car. It was not a good morning. From the parking garage of the casino one can see the river I believe it is the Kankakee river but I may be wrong. It is a large deep river that has many a barge and tug boat. These were the most visible signs of commerce in the area. We also saw a few minor shops here and there but nothing more than I would expect in any town that size. So I ask has casino gambling really brought that much to the town of Joliet, IL. We drove past projects while we were in town. The projects, while not a sight to behold, were in much better repair than many of the homes surrounding them and quite a bit better than anything I've ever seen in Chicago, but they were still projects and they still spoke of poverty.
So I'm not one for paternalistic law making I sure don't want to be one saying we need to regulate every aspect of peoples lives because they can not be trusted to take care of themselves, but now we've crossed lines in Illinois that perhaps shouldn't have been crossed and there is no end in sight. King Richard II (you may know him as Mayor Dailey) wants a monster casino in Chicago. His reasoning echoes what most everyone in Chicago is thinking, "If everyone else in the state can have gambling then why not Chicago. No Fair!"
And this is why the rest of the state hates Chicago. As it stands these casinos draw money from Chicago to their areas. People go to Indiana or Peoria or Joliet to get their fix. While Joliet didn't look all that improved to me, I've been told its markedly better than it used to be. Word is that back in the day people thought it a real excrement hole.
So what happens when a monster is built in Chicago and the money stops flowing from the city. Will the other casinos close? Not at all. They know that they can still draw money, perhaps not as much, but nothing to shake a stick at, from the communities they are in. These community boons become black holes drawing all the areas cash in on the dreams of hitting it big on the next roll.
Fortunately for now, the Governor is against a Chicago casino. I just don't see him sticking firm on that issue and getting the Chicago the democratic machine to support him in his reelection next time around. What Daily wants daily gets. Remember Meigs Feild.
If you want a big casino go to Vegas or Atlantic City.
If you need to get a casino fix go to Joliet.
More laters
So I'm not one for paternalistic law making I sure don't want to be one saying we need to regulate every aspect of peoples lives because they can not be trusted to take care of themselves, but now we've crossed lines in Illinois that perhaps shouldn't have been crossed and there is no end in sight. King Richard II (you may know him as Mayor Dailey) wants a monster casino in Chicago. His reasoning echoes what most everyone in Chicago is thinking, "If everyone else in the state can have gambling then why not Chicago. No Fair!"
And this is why the rest of the state hates Chicago. As it stands these casinos draw money from Chicago to their areas. People go to Indiana or Peoria or Joliet to get their fix. While Joliet didn't look all that improved to me, I've been told its markedly better than it used to be. Word is that back in the day people thought it a real excrement hole.
So what happens when a monster is built in Chicago and the money stops flowing from the city. Will the other casinos close? Not at all. They know that they can still draw money, perhaps not as much, but nothing to shake a stick at, from the communities they are in. These community boons become black holes drawing all the areas cash in on the dreams of hitting it big on the next roll.
Fortunately for now, the Governor is against a Chicago casino. I just don't see him sticking firm on that issue and getting the Chicago the democratic machine to support him in his reelection next time around. What Daily wants daily gets. Remember Meigs Feild.
If you want a big casino go to Vegas or Atlantic City.
If you need to get a casino fix go to Joliet.
More laters















0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home