Homeland Security
You know just after the attack on September 11, 2001 when we let our leaders push through a whole ton of frightening legislation I was a little bothered by the creation of the Department of Homeland Security. First of all the name alone screams world war two era propaganda with heavy overtones of Secret Police and things done under the cover of darkness. Secondly I'm always against needless bureaucracy. These tasks should have been assigned to existing parts of the government. Now we have an entire department that just like any other will first and foremost be forced into proving the need for it's existence and of course the need for a greatly enlarged budget. Finally I thought the creation of the department was one of those condescending gestures to make people feel safer, thus the terrible name.
I was wrong about the darkness thing. Homeland Security does terrible things in broad day light. I should have known better. So now the department is scaring people about election day. Here is a Reuters piece on yahoo. Now after reading the story and discussing it with the old man, I've come to the understanding, and I may be wrong, that they can not interfere with the election. So either they are trying to cover their hind ends now with a "Well we warned y'all but you went anyways and it's not our fault," or perhaps they have some polling data that says democrats are more afraid of dying in an attack and will avoid the polls in November if we get em good and scared. This of course is my opinion as I'm now afraid. Build me my anthrax shelter! I want my plastic and duct tape!
More Laters
I was wrong about the darkness thing. Homeland Security does terrible things in broad day light. I should have known better. So now the department is scaring people about election day. Here is a Reuters piece on yahoo. Now after reading the story and discussing it with the old man, I've come to the understanding, and I may be wrong, that they can not interfere with the election. So either they are trying to cover their hind ends now with a "Well we warned y'all but you went anyways and it's not our fault," or perhaps they have some polling data that says democrats are more afraid of dying in an attack and will avoid the polls in November if we get em good and scared. This of course is my opinion as I'm now afraid. Build me my anthrax shelter! I want my plastic and duct tape!
More Laters















0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home