Chicago Tourism Day 2
So anyway there I am back on the Metra again and I'm thinking, "I'm not a tour guide. Heck I barely know the south side. I don't drive. Yet here I am doing the showing off my city thing." And then the jailbait from hell gets on the train. A mob of seven teenage girls the oldest being fourteen maybe, probably younger. And these girls are loud. Tee Hee Hee giggly loud. The are completely oblivious to the quiet of the people around them. And the clothes they were wearing. Dear lord. Their parents either don't know or are hoping to be early grandparents. Now I don't have anything against women wearing little to nothing. I encourage it in fact. I just don't want to feel like a dirty old man. So for all of you Beverly parents sending your annoying teenage daughters downtown to shop in boutiques with your credit cards: Take A Look At What They are wearing! And teach em a little courtesy. And maybe hit em once or twice for good measure.
Today's bit of tourism involved the Field Museum of Natural History. This place is da bomb so to speak. Lots of fun stuff. I, however , do have some gripes. First my cousin and his girlfriend are the types who want to hit every gift shop they see and they have one on every floor of the place. It'slike going to the department store. Secondly, this need to make a sort of child friendly interactive exhibit out of everything bothers me. The Egypt exhibit is suppose to be a tomb. The place is dark and there are these grottos and things are tucked into corners and you can't see anything! Is that a mummy or a piece of jewelry? Heck if I know. It is in a cave behind Plexiglas. And theUnderworld Adventure is purely for children. I could have seen the Forbidden City exhibit but again, foolishly, I left the decision up to the guests and they asked the ticket salesman, "What's more fun?" Dude sits at a desk and sells tickets for a living. The little kiddy area is more fun to him! Should have guessed that. It's like Dr. Seuss with dirt and bugs.
The Gems. Wow the gems. Wow the gems. I'm not kidding I could spend another day going back just to take a better look at those shiny pieces. I think I want a big monster aquamarine now. When I get a wish list that is on it.
They have these bronze life like sculptures (read nude with genitals) everywhere and signs by them that say please do not touch. And no one listens as all the interesting bits are shiny and worn. Check out the guy in the basement his member practically glows. It's like Lincoln's nose in Springfield. Are people rubbing it for luck ?
I got to check out some asteroids which the geek in me says, "Cool space stuff" and they even have a few out they encourage you to touch as they are almost solid metal impervious to a bit of human oil. We didn't get to see much as there were gift shops filled with discovery channel stuff to gawk over.
On the way home another street person attempts the , "Hey big guy." Today I was able to blow right past. Do I have liberal guilt tattooed to my forehead.
Speaking of liberal guilt there is still a picket in front of the Congress Hotel. Check out a little about there strike here.
Finally an important Tourism note on the Metra Lasalle street station. They serve beer and liquor. While they had many finer beverages I got nostalgic for small towns and cheap beer so I went with an Old Style. Cold beer that goes down fast. Can't ask for much more after walking across Grant park and a few major arteries of Chicago traffic.
So Beer is good. Museum is fun but they got it set up too much for kids. Street people think I feel bad for them. Beverly parents need to look at what their daughters are wearing.
More Laters
Today's bit of tourism involved the Field Museum of Natural History. This place is da bomb so to speak. Lots of fun stuff. I, however , do have some gripes. First my cousin and his girlfriend are the types who want to hit every gift shop they see and they have one on every floor of the place. It'slike going to the department store. Secondly, this need to make a sort of child friendly interactive exhibit out of everything bothers me. The Egypt exhibit is suppose to be a tomb. The place is dark and there are these grottos and things are tucked into corners and you can't see anything! Is that a mummy or a piece of jewelry? Heck if I know. It is in a cave behind Plexiglas. And theUnderworld Adventure is purely for children. I could have seen the Forbidden City exhibit but again, foolishly, I left the decision up to the guests and they asked the ticket salesman, "What's more fun?" Dude sits at a desk and sells tickets for a living. The little kiddy area is more fun to him! Should have guessed that. It's like Dr. Seuss with dirt and bugs.
The Gems. Wow the gems. Wow the gems. I'm not kidding I could spend another day going back just to take a better look at those shiny pieces. I think I want a big monster aquamarine now. When I get a wish list that is on it.
They have these bronze life like sculptures (read nude with genitals) everywhere and signs by them that say please do not touch. And no one listens as all the interesting bits are shiny and worn. Check out the guy in the basement his member practically glows. It's like Lincoln's nose in Springfield. Are people rubbing it for luck ?
I got to check out some asteroids which the geek in me says, "Cool space stuff" and they even have a few out they encourage you to touch as they are almost solid metal impervious to a bit of human oil. We didn't get to see much as there were gift shops filled with discovery channel stuff to gawk over.
On the way home another street person attempts the , "Hey big guy." Today I was able to blow right past. Do I have liberal guilt tattooed to my forehead.
Speaking of liberal guilt there is still a picket in front of the Congress Hotel. Check out a little about there strike here.
Finally an important Tourism note on the Metra Lasalle street station. They serve beer and liquor. While they had many finer beverages I got nostalgic for small towns and cheap beer so I went with an Old Style. Cold beer that goes down fast. Can't ask for much more after walking across Grant park and a few major arteries of Chicago traffic.
So Beer is good. Museum is fun but they got it set up too much for kids. Street people think I feel bad for them. Beverly parents need to look at what their daughters are wearing.
More Laters















0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home