Where The Sun Don't Shine
So we are talking about monster coffee chain Starbucks. My brother mentions that they are building one down the block from him soon. I wonder out loud, "Where are they building the other ones." My brother gives my a look that says, "Moron I just told you they are building one down the block from me." I try to explain, "well their usual business model is to build for or five in an area at a time," when my brother cuts me off, "and when did you get your MBA." This is typical. When I begin to lecture or talk about something he doesn't want to discuss he will just insult me and point to my lack of any sort of degree to back up any sort of opinion (not that he has one either, mind you) and while it is one of his less attractive personality traits it is also one that is very common.
People want experts. One can not merely be well read or have a small amount of knowledge to express an opinion. One must have the piece of paper that says, "I have studied and am knowledgeable about a very specific portion all that is known." We want our politicians to be lawyers. We want Dr. Phil to change our lives. The day will come when babysitters will be board certified with degrees in child psychology and practical physics (how did she get her head stuck in there? Where do I need to position myself to be able to keep all three children in view. The two hip child balancing act). We want to hear about civil rights from the ACLU and disaster preparedness from the red cross. The world has no room for the dilettante.
I find myself increasingly frustrated with this attitude. Might not my life experiences to date give me a certain amount of knowledge to share. Is it not possible that one might read about things like globalization, clustering and branding without having experience with the actual companies involved. I find my awareness of the world and willingness to accept knew ideas proves that at the very least my head does not reside in a place where the sun doesn't shine. I cannot say the same for everyone.
More Laters
People want experts. One can not merely be well read or have a small amount of knowledge to express an opinion. One must have the piece of paper that says, "I have studied and am knowledgeable about a very specific portion all that is known." We want our politicians to be lawyers. We want Dr. Phil to change our lives. The day will come when babysitters will be board certified with degrees in child psychology and practical physics (how did she get her head stuck in there? Where do I need to position myself to be able to keep all three children in view. The two hip child balancing act). We want to hear about civil rights from the ACLU and disaster preparedness from the red cross. The world has no room for the dilettante.
I find myself increasingly frustrated with this attitude. Might not my life experiences to date give me a certain amount of knowledge to share. Is it not possible that one might read about things like globalization, clustering and branding without having experience with the actual companies involved. I find my awareness of the world and willingness to accept knew ideas proves that at the very least my head does not reside in a place where the sun doesn't shine. I cannot say the same for everyone.
More Laters















0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home