A Tradition
While I rant about rampant consumerism, I don't feel that righteousness that might be mine if I were a full fledged "believer" instead of an agnostic who was raised roman catholic. I don't feel that my faith is being sullied. Mine is more of a look at all this future landfill type of outrage (right up until someone hands me some future landfill and then I'm a happy camper).
So rather than rant about how the image of Kermit the frog is being used, to get children, to bug there parents, to get a wakeup call, to go shopping the day after thanksgiving (well maybe just a little bit of ranting) I thought I'd share one thing I truly like to do this time of year.
A few years back a Cowboy Bar singer loaned me a book by Dylan Thomas (I wrote another piece about this cowboy that used to be posted at Katzwinkel's site. I may have find a new place to host it or prod him into making it available again). One might find this hard to believe, because I was an English major, but this was the first time I had ever encountered anything by Dylan Thomas other than the oft quoted poem Do not go gently. I was amazed. This was some of the best writing I had ever encountered.
I was Later to find out that most of the book was made up of pieces written for the radio and that not only had they been recorded, but were available digitally. So I bought a copy of The Caedmon Collection. Now that is a fairly expensive item, and not entirely seasonal. The part of the collection I always make the time during this season is called A Child's Christmas in Wales. (One can find the text of this story at this website).
While the story is about a boy from an earlier age and a different culture, it never fails to bring me back to my childhood. Every time I read this story I remember how hard it was to get to sleep the night before Santa was suppose to come. I remember the how it seemed the entire room was filled with presents. I remember pooh bear feety pajamas. I remember the old man's first forays into video technology. Reading this Dylan Thomas story (or better yet listening to the man read it himself)is a must for anyone who wants to briefly feel some of the joys of childhood. I know I brought this up last year, and money is good hat I will again next year. It is one of the few things I feel very strongly about, all thanks to a cowboy / poet.
More Laters
Rich
So rather than rant about how the image of Kermit the frog is being used, to get children, to bug there parents, to get a wakeup call, to go shopping the day after thanksgiving (well maybe just a little bit of ranting) I thought I'd share one thing I truly like to do this time of year.
A few years back a Cowboy Bar singer loaned me a book by Dylan Thomas (I wrote another piece about this cowboy that used to be posted at Katzwinkel's site. I may have find a new place to host it or prod him into making it available again). One might find this hard to believe, because I was an English major, but this was the first time I had ever encountered anything by Dylan Thomas other than the oft quoted poem Do not go gently. I was amazed. This was some of the best writing I had ever encountered.
I was Later to find out that most of the book was made up of pieces written for the radio and that not only had they been recorded, but were available digitally. So I bought a copy of The Caedmon Collection. Now that is a fairly expensive item, and not entirely seasonal. The part of the collection I always make the time during this season is called A Child's Christmas in Wales. (One can find the text of this story at this website).
While the story is about a boy from an earlier age and a different culture, it never fails to bring me back to my childhood. Every time I read this story I remember how hard it was to get to sleep the night before Santa was suppose to come. I remember the how it seemed the entire room was filled with presents. I remember pooh bear feety pajamas. I remember the old man's first forays into video technology. Reading this Dylan Thomas story (or better yet listening to the man read it himself)is a must for anyone who wants to briefly feel some of the joys of childhood. I know I brought this up last year, and money is good hat I will again next year. It is one of the few things I feel very strongly about, all thanks to a cowboy / poet.
More Laters
Rich















4 Comments:
Nice post, Rich.
I was thinking about signing a few people up for a Kermit 5:00 a.m. wake up call (unbeknownst to them, of course). They probably have some sort of validation procedure for sign up that would prevent that from happening, but it's fun to think about.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Okay, I posted your piece, if only temporarily.
Cowboys and Poets
It's not that I don't want to post your stuff... it's good stuff... but the Contributions section on my site was weak. I had to get rid of it.
Maybe I should have just turned it into the Rich Rosenthal Tribute Page.
Yes! Every web site should have a Rich Rosenthal Tribute Page. There could be pictures and maybe a list of all the liquors i've burned through over the years. Maybe stupid stories ive told over and over again while drunk! and of course, the gallery of all the women woh counted me their favorite bartender, because I was a sap for a pretty face. Hmm oh and that stuff I subitted to your website.
Post a Comment
<< Home