On Television
As a man without cable (or satellite dish), I find myself completely disinterested in the kind of programming to be found on the television these days. Even now that the stations have scaled back the all reality all the time mind assault, they have failed to fill the gaps with anything worth seeing.
Once upon a time I would like to watch Law & Order, but the plots have become formulaic, and the ideas that are "ripped from the headlines" don't really tackle difficult issues so much as name them. Watch as the judge sidesteps having to deal with a privacy issue, see that people are upset about the patriot act, be stunned at how the lead counsel gets all red in the face.
I was a West Wing Fan. It was smart and funny. Then it became more of a political advertisement for the democratic party: If the democrats were in charge they would solve every world problem, even the middle east, in just eight years. I'm a pretty liberal guy, but I'm cynical enough to know that the leaders of both of the major parties take the same money from the same multinational corporations. Sure the Democrats may be more socially appealing to me, but they all fiscally favor big business. Even now that the show is in an election season with the promise of change, the entire dragging out of the election process isn't interesting and the "live debate" was a jumping the shark moment. Pull out all the gimmicks to try and get one more season. Letting it die gracefully might be better.
ER has a new cast. I liked the old people.
CSI : ETC suffers from the same disease as Law & Order, too many clones.
I wont mention the terrible world of sitcoms, where good stand up comedians go to die. I do like the new Evil version of Neal Patrick Harris. The show How I met your mother is a terrible friends clone that is doomed to failure, but evil Doogie is funny. It's like somebody saw Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle and said, "Do that, but in a more 1 dimensional character that we can use in a couple jokes each show."
I think I'll take a pass on TV this year. More time for books, video games, and blogs.
More Laters
Once upon a time I would like to watch Law & Order, but the plots have become formulaic, and the ideas that are "ripped from the headlines" don't really tackle difficult issues so much as name them. Watch as the judge sidesteps having to deal with a privacy issue, see that people are upset about the patriot act, be stunned at how the lead counsel gets all red in the face.
I was a West Wing Fan. It was smart and funny. Then it became more of a political advertisement for the democratic party: If the democrats were in charge they would solve every world problem, even the middle east, in just eight years. I'm a pretty liberal guy, but I'm cynical enough to know that the leaders of both of the major parties take the same money from the same multinational corporations. Sure the Democrats may be more socially appealing to me, but they all fiscally favor big business. Even now that the show is in an election season with the promise of change, the entire dragging out of the election process isn't interesting and the "live debate" was a jumping the shark moment. Pull out all the gimmicks to try and get one more season. Letting it die gracefully might be better.
ER has a new cast. I liked the old people.
CSI : ETC suffers from the same disease as Law & Order, too many clones.
I wont mention the terrible world of sitcoms, where good stand up comedians go to die. I do like the new Evil version of Neal Patrick Harris. The show How I met your mother is a terrible friends clone that is doomed to failure, but evil Doogie is funny. It's like somebody saw Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle and said, "Do that, but in a more 1 dimensional character that we can use in a couple jokes each show."
I think I'll take a pass on TV this year. More time for books, video games, and blogs.
More Laters















2 Comments:
The Office is very funny. The original was on BBC and is simply hilarious and brilliant. I never thought the American version would be good. But it is.
I must agree that The Office is worth watching. I've been watching Lost, too. It isn't so bad. yeah, it's kinda soap oprah-ish, but overall, the story line isn't too bad.
Post a Comment
<< Home