Friday, November 11, 2005

Chicago Theater Again

So we are going to see Wicked on the 16th. Originally we were looking into checking out 700 Sundays. Billy Crystal is a pretty funny guy and there aren't that many opportunities to see em in Chicago. The problem is that the tickets are already in the hands of the resellers. These companies buy up blocks of every single event they can get their hands on and then put em back on the block with a few hefty fees. Trying to get three Tickets to see Billy Crystal was going to run around 179 dollars a piece (before any fees) so we thought perhaps it was not to be. (The really choice seats started at $450. I mean yeah he is funny but I think I can wait for the HBO special and get it on DVD for $19.95).

So its off to see the witches, and one of my heros, the Wonderful Wizard of Oz. I love how first Maguire in his book and now the musical turn this befuddled old con man, into a more sinister character. Any tyrant whose name is "wonderful" is my kind of brutal autocrat. I'm sure there are people who find that these stories have irreparably harmed the original fairy tale. They are happy with the idea that the women in black are inherently evil and wear pointy hats to let people know they are in fact evil women up to no good, to be dealt with in extreme measures. The original witches were flat. The new witches are revolutionaries. They fight the power structure. They are taken down by a well meaning, but ignorant girl.

We bought the soundtrack in preparation. This soundtrack doesn't exactly flow. You can tell that dialogue is missing. It's not like an Andrew Lloyd Weber musical where its almost one long song from start to finish, with an occasional pause to breath and change the scenery. I'm not completely impressed with the music either, but I am rather fond of a few tracks, notably the songs "What is this feeling," "Popular," and "Wonderful." The women in the Broadway musical recording have incredible voices. I'm hoping that I'm not disappointed with the talent in Chicago.

In Summary : My man club card takes another hit as I walk around singing "Loathing, Unadulterated Loathing." Witches are revolutionaries. Black is the new pink (or so the song tells me).

More Laters

2 Comments:

Blogger Katzwinkel said...

Hm... I don't know, Rich. If I'm keeping track correctly, your Man Club Card is in tatters. I guess wouldn't worry about it too much, though. That Man Club went the way of the dodo some time ago. Perhaps you ought to walk into the new century and transfer from The Man Club to The Guy Club.

The difference is slight, but significant. Mainly, a Guy gets to act like a Man, but it's not nearly as serious. Guys can play video games and take part in the occasional snowball fight; Men have to shoot ducks. Guys read comic books; Men read Reader's Digest. When a Guy does something really stupid, the carpet gets stained; when a Man does something really stupid, wars start.

So, I wouldn't worry so much about your Man Club card. It's outdated. Get a Guy Club card. The only drawback is you have to refer to undesirable things as "gay," which is kind of... you know... gay.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

I'm not really hung up on the entire manly macho thing, I just like to use the words man club so that a technorati search of this blog will give up all related posts.


See also Master Plan

2:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home