Sad or Funny
Although I haven't brought it up lately, I have a bit of an obsession with internet dating sites. These sites give so much more than the old school classified add. There are pictures and statistics. Most sites give each person the opportunity to write paragraphs about themselves and their "ideal match." Then there is the chance of running across someone you know.
While the sites have improved their security, a lot of scammers slip through there figures. Nothing says internet scam artist like yet another copy of the phrase, "I am hoping to be finding the happiness." The fact that scam artist would work out of these sites doesn't surprise me. They target any weakness they can exploit. When its the email offering you 10 million dollars of the dead Nigerian warlords money, they are trying to exploit greed. When it is an internet dating site they get to prey on loneliness and lust.
Color me surprised though by this news story. Match and Yahoo are accused of being a part of the problem. I figured that with all the people out there desperate at a chance for something to work out, they would have no problem pulling down the bucks. Every Internet marriage news story is advertising revenue in the bank for these corporations. I should have known better. To be market driven, one can not just serving an existing customer base, one must seek to expand rapidly at any cost. So now there are employees writing fake love letters and completely false entries to make it look like more people are subscribing than actually are. Maybe they need to change their advertisments to say that for just twenty dollars a month you can have the idea of an attractive person waiting for you, and isn't that a small price to pay for hope.
In summary: I still haven't seen anyone I know on a dating site (bastards). I still hate scam artists. I am slightly more disgusted with big business today than I was yesterday.
More Laters
While the sites have improved their security, a lot of scammers slip through there figures. Nothing says internet scam artist like yet another copy of the phrase, "I am hoping to be finding the happiness." The fact that scam artist would work out of these sites doesn't surprise me. They target any weakness they can exploit. When its the email offering you 10 million dollars of the dead Nigerian warlords money, they are trying to exploit greed. When it is an internet dating site they get to prey on loneliness and lust.
Color me surprised though by this news story. Match and Yahoo are accused of being a part of the problem. I figured that with all the people out there desperate at a chance for something to work out, they would have no problem pulling down the bucks. Every Internet marriage news story is advertising revenue in the bank for these corporations. I should have known better. To be market driven, one can not just serving an existing customer base, one must seek to expand rapidly at any cost. So now there are employees writing fake love letters and completely false entries to make it look like more people are subscribing than actually are. Maybe they need to change their advertisments to say that for just twenty dollars a month you can have the idea of an attractive person waiting for you, and isn't that a small price to pay for hope.
In summary: I still haven't seen anyone I know on a dating site (bastards). I still hate scam artists. I am slightly more disgusted with big business today than I was yesterday.
More Laters















1 Comments:
Totally not the point, but I must say that I think online dating is a great way to meet people in this crazy world where no one interacts face-to-face anymore and everyone lives in their own little worlds.
If not to find love, at least to get the ball rolling.
Post a Comment
<< Home