Wednesday, December 07, 2005

More Eco Friendly Than You .... Hippy

I don't drive. Scares the fecal matter right out of me. I've probably been behind the wheel of a car less than twenty times in my life. I got my drivers license when I was twenty one and not because I wanted it or planned to use it, but because the old man wanted me to take the Chicago Police test and I couldn't bring myself to tell him no. (I've since learned how). I've earned safe driver citations, for having never been involved in an accident.

So on the 12th my license is due to expire. I for one would like to let it lapse. When you have a license people volunteer you either as a driver or as the licensed adult with the teenager and his or her learner permit. I used to have the excuse of being entirely too drunk for that to mean anything. Now that I stay away from the bar life I could just see a couple people coming to the conclusion that I might be their sober driver. The one thing worse than having to drive a car when the idea of it terrifies you is having to do it with a car full of drunks. (Especially if one of em is your younger brother saying, "My brother is driving? We are all going to die! WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!!")

The old man is not to keen on the idea of me letting my license lapse, He tried to bull (explicative deleted) me by saying its just a great form of identification to have. A state I. D. is the exact same kind of identification. When you are required to have 3 forms of identification one of those forms is always either a Drivers License or a state I. D. card. The old man just doesn't want me to close the door on ever having the option to drive. As this renewal process only requires an eye examination I'll go along this time. The first time they require me to get behind of the wheel of a car I'm saying screw it and handing in my badge so to speak.

There is an upside to my fear of driving. I can usually win arguments with people even more left leaning than I. People can go on about preserving Alaska or environmentalism and still justify owning a car and driving it solo here and there. I can point out my ecologically friendly use of public transport, healthy living through walking and bicycle riding, and of course the entire labor refusal to buy a product made for slave wages. I just have to make sure I hide my Nikes.

More Laters

2 Comments:

Blogger Katzwinkel said...

I remember that trip, Rich. :)

How we ended up drunk in backwoods Indiana-land is beyond me, but I maintain hazy memories of you driving, and some hillbilly trying to sell us crystal meth.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

I didn't even learn to drive untill I was twenty one. there is a reason people learn as teenagers. Teenagers believe they are immortal. I've been in a car where the driver passed pout at the wheel and rear ended the guy in front of us, but that just made me an antsy passanger. The funny thing is I drove fork lifts forthree years, lifting dangerous loads. I worked an overhead crane where I almost squished a guy. Going faster than ten miles an hour in a cra and I'm terrified.

1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home