Thursday, December 22, 2005

Crackpot Theory: Boomer Christmas

I blame the baby boomers. Every single one of em yearn for the Halcyon days of the post war 1950's. Their idea of a perfect world comes from that seemingly perfect time. Many of these childhood memories are, of course, about Christmas. We always remember Christmas.

So listening to some boomers talk recently I hear em pine for the days when they would try out for the roles of Joseph or Mary in the public school Christmas Pageant. "Oh, it was so much fun." I remark that it is / was completely inappropriate. "We didn't think we were offending anyone." We didn't think might be more like it. The tone of "offending" implies that anyone who would actually take offense is a hyper sensitive horses hind end. "But everyone in the neighborhood was Christian." You're certain? How come I really tend to doubt that.

I get tired of having these arguments, because people always think I'm attacking their faith. I could care less what people believe in. Really. Worship the sun. Worship Christ or Buddha or Allah. Worship a tadpole. Worship Martin Short. Worship nothing at all. Just don't demand that your worship be taught in public schools or funded with taxpayer dollars and I'm a happy man. Convert the entire neighborhood walking door to door if you wish, just get off my porch when I say I'm not interested, I gave at the office.

The Boomers thought their childhoods were perfect. Later they all got to be patriots or revolutionaries or whatever when the 60's came around and in the 70's - 90's family kept em busy. Now the Greatest Generation is finally giving up the power bit by bit and the boomers find themselves in positions of authority. They make the rules and they want the world to be like the imagined perfection of the 1950's. So now they rail against a "holiday season" because it's Christmas damn it, and Christmas is important.

I find it funny that these people aren't really complaining that the Marketeers have stolen away the season and turned it into a consumeristic orgy. No the real crime is the name. The Mega Big Block Mart isn't wrong because of the advertising blitz telling us that we are complete loosers if we don't shop, shop, shop away, they are wrong because they force their Christian employees to wish people happy holidays.

Just one more reason the boomers scare me. I may have to go into politics to help wrest control from them before it's too late.

More Laters

6 Comments:

Blogger Trillian said...

I agree with you on this one. I cannot for the life of me understand why all the 40-50 somethings are making such a big deal about saying "happy holidays". I think you nailed it, tho. The real crime is the commercialization of the season. Why on earth they're focusing on showing a little tolerance for other faiths (or lack thereof)?

2:31 PM  
Blogger Shy said...

I have never thought of devoting my life to the metamorphing tadpole.

All Praise Tadpole.

If i could make it all go away, I would.

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The reason why 40-50s want people to say happy holidays is becouse no one wants to be sued or they have flash backs of there hippy days. "Greatest Generation" Is the most wrond term I have ever heard. Poeple think back on the 60s and they think mainly of drugs and sex all done by the hippy. Later to become the yuppy. Please remember that these people that fought for your rights of freedom are now takeing all your money and freedom away. If that is the "Greatest" Gen of American then I think its time for me to move out.

1:28 AM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

I thought greatest gen was wwii / great depression era folk. Do i acutlly have to go and read the brokaw book now.

1:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to tell the trueth I dont know I was qouteing you. "Now the Greatest Generation is finally giving up the power bit by bit and the boomers find themselves in positions of authority." You shouldnt waste time reading the brokaw book as much as re-reading your own post.

10:51 AM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Haha but I'm unemployed so they aren't taking my money! I had none to start with! Muhahahahaha.

If I reread my posts I would feel obligated to go back and correct all the typos and spelling errors. Then perhaps add a line here and there and then its a 10 page thesis. That way lies maddness! maddness I tell you.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home