Query
Do men still wear earrings? Seriously. I have no idea.
When I was sixteen or seventeen I got my first piercing. It was the left ear of course because that the ear straight men pierced. The following summer I got another hole in the same ear because multiple piercings were the thing to do. Later I would get my right ear pierced as well because it was blatantly homophobic to have just the one ear pierced. By the time I was twenty one I had three earrings in my left ear and two in my right. I had a bunch of gold hoops in the left and studs in the right and I wore them twenty four hours a day seven days a week.
Working in a bar in a college town I got to know all the local business people. I made friends with the owners of the local tattoo / body jewelry parlor. There I acquired my only tattoo and had a good hoop put through the cartilage of the upper portion of my left ear and another in my left nipple. (Oh my god did that hurt. I think I scared a couple girls away who were thinking about it when dude put the needle through me and I started swearing at em). I probably would have had more work done, except I stopped going to school and didn't have those fat loan checks to squander anymore. What with food booze and nicotine expenses there was nothing left over after the rent was paid.
So in the years since then I took out a number of earrings when I was doing temp work as the manager of the office I was working in asked that I might abide by their dress code policy in that regard. So that just left me with the one hoop in my left cartilage and a starter post in the right ear. The ball fell off of the hoop in my left ear one night while I was sleeping and I couldn't find it so I just took the hoop out of my ear. The nipple ring never did heal up right as the piercing was too deep for such a small hoop so I took that out.
All I have left is this one little starter hoop and its in the right ear. I wonder if when I'm out and about I'm sending mixed messages. I might try and switch the hoop over, but still smacks of being blatantly homphobic, and I'm not even sure if the holes in the lower part of my left ear are even open. It's been years. I know the big hole in the cartilage is still there and always will be but all the others were the kind of piercing y'all got from the girl in the earring hut at the mall. Just jam the starter earring right through the skin. Keep it clean don't take it out or it will heal up.
To top it all off I don't even know if men wear earrings anymore. I'm not one to follow trends in fashion, and I'll start screaming about idiotic consumerism whenever I hear a phrase like "fashion season" but I think I might just might be willing to see what the general consensus is about body jewelry before I decide whether I'm going to listen to it or not. I kind of miss all my gold piratey hoops, but would an effort to restock the ears be yet another notch in my macho certification card?
More Laters
When I was sixteen or seventeen I got my first piercing. It was the left ear of course because that the ear straight men pierced. The following summer I got another hole in the same ear because multiple piercings were the thing to do. Later I would get my right ear pierced as well because it was blatantly homophobic to have just the one ear pierced. By the time I was twenty one I had three earrings in my left ear and two in my right. I had a bunch of gold hoops in the left and studs in the right and I wore them twenty four hours a day seven days a week.
Working in a bar in a college town I got to know all the local business people. I made friends with the owners of the local tattoo / body jewelry parlor. There I acquired my only tattoo and had a good hoop put through the cartilage of the upper portion of my left ear and another in my left nipple. (Oh my god did that hurt. I think I scared a couple girls away who were thinking about it when dude put the needle through me and I started swearing at em). I probably would have had more work done, except I stopped going to school and didn't have those fat loan checks to squander anymore. What with food booze and nicotine expenses there was nothing left over after the rent was paid.
So in the years since then I took out a number of earrings when I was doing temp work as the manager of the office I was working in asked that I might abide by their dress code policy in that regard. So that just left me with the one hoop in my left cartilage and a starter post in the right ear. The ball fell off of the hoop in my left ear one night while I was sleeping and I couldn't find it so I just took the hoop out of my ear. The nipple ring never did heal up right as the piercing was too deep for such a small hoop so I took that out.
All I have left is this one little starter hoop and its in the right ear. I wonder if when I'm out and about I'm sending mixed messages. I might try and switch the hoop over, but still smacks of being blatantly homphobic, and I'm not even sure if the holes in the lower part of my left ear are even open. It's been years. I know the big hole in the cartilage is still there and always will be but all the others were the kind of piercing y'all got from the girl in the earring hut at the mall. Just jam the starter earring right through the skin. Keep it clean don't take it out or it will heal up.
To top it all off I don't even know if men wear earrings anymore. I'm not one to follow trends in fashion, and I'll start screaming about idiotic consumerism whenever I hear a phrase like "fashion season" but I think I might just might be willing to see what the general consensus is about body jewelry before I decide whether I'm going to listen to it or not. I kind of miss all my gold piratey hoops, but would an effort to restock the ears be yet another notch in my macho certification card?
More Laters















4 Comments:
i could re-pierce your left ear if you're worried about it. i did mine when it closed; puss and blood came out. it was soo cool. yours sounds like it may have been closed for a long time so i'm betting there wouldn't even be any puss to worry about.
pirates are cool.
I think the main question is, why did you pierce your ears/nipples/scrota to begin with? Was it to be cool and hip and "with it"? Or was it dangle shiny baubles from your body.
I mean, people get piercings for one of two reasons: to be iconoclastic or to be pretty. If you did it to be iconoclastic, then just do whatever the f**k you want to do and be done with it. If you want to be pretty, wear earrings or garters or boas or whatever it takes for you to feel fabulous.
To ask what's popular in regards to your piercings seems to defy the reason you got them in the first place.
I got ewm in the first place for the same reason I did most things when I was a teenager ... I thought they would help to get me laid. I ask now, not really because I'm going to change what I'm going to do, but out of genuine curiosity. I have no idea if men outside the tattoo iercing subset of society still wear earings. I'm still part of the subset. I'll go on wearing em till I die probably. Though I would like to know if women look at the single post in my right ear and think, "A gay man no point in talking to em." Basically my penis forced me to ask the question.
I was working as a hostess at Logan's Roadhouse and I was sent home for coming to work with my tongue ring in. I was like FUCK YOU!, but, I came back to work the next day because I needed to keep my job. Asshole manager.
Post a Comment
<< Home