Thursday, September 22, 2005

inferiority complex

It isn’t that I need people to like me. Or at least I don’t think it is. I’ve disliked more people than I can count (or remember) and I hope they dislike me too. I don’t know. Call it an inferiority complex. I think it all stems back to grade school when I was always the last kid to be picked on a team. Even the fat girls got picked before me. And it wasn’t that I was bad at sports. I could run, I usually managed to hit the ball, and even though I was usually afraid to catch the baseball (we didn’t’ have gloves, so it was bare handed) I could run out and get it like mr. mcfeely. . Hell, I might have been pretty good if someone would have let me play.

I also got picked on a lot. It started in 2nd grade when I stood up for gene st.peters against daniel gray. Gene had his problems and Daniel was just a mean kid in general. I felt bad for Gene. I knew his family was poor and that he was awkward--big ears, glasses, the works when it comes to being a target for bullys but I also knew that he wasn’t a bad kid. Oh, and Gene, I’m sorry I told you to shut up and leave me alone (that’s the nice version) that one day on the bus (but you were really bringing problems on yourself that day and I couldn’t deal with it) I have digressed…..it escalated to an all time high in the 4th grade when we had to draw our best friends and present the pictures to the class and I drew my cat. My classmates never let that one go. They meowed at me for years to come--i was even taunted about it in high school. But hey, I didn’t really have any choice-- I didn’t want to embarrass anyone because I said they were my best friend and who has a best friend that makes them cry everyday anyway? What kind of friend is that to admit to having? Not to mention it was a mighty fine drawing of my cat.

Anyway, as of late, I’m starting to feel like that kid again—off on the sidelines, waving my hands frantically (resume in hand this time around), pick me, pick me—I can run fast, hit the ball hard…that bit of desperateness eventually stopped and I just stood there and stared at the ground, waiting for the whole thing to be over, hoping the teams would be uneven so I could just go sit on the swings—because if I was unlucky enough to get out or make an error during the game, I heard about it all day. They’d even taunt me during recess (while I sat on the swings)--I had single-handedly lost the game and they didn’t want me in the first place but they had the last pick and I was the only choice. Forget about the fact that each team gets three outs per inning and I made only one of at least 9 outs. It just happened to be the last out before p.e. was over.

So the kid is back. I’m still trying to keep an optimistic outlook, but I’m still left wondering why no one has called me. What’s wrong with my application? I’m bright, high energy, and I really like teaching. Is my cover letter too long or too short? Do they not like my name? Why don’t they call me back or respond to my letters? Are my stamps bad? Did these resumes get lost? I would understand if there wasn’t a position open, but I have been applying to vacant positions listed on websites and in papers. Sing it with me now: If your paranoid and you know it clap your hands—but don’t look around, they might know that you’re onto them.

I have two appointments with temp agencies tomorrow and I’m hoping they can find a place for me before I find myself out on the swings again.

7 Comments:

Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

yay shy wrote today, now I dont have to feel bad about going to bed with blogger guilt (to many days without an update).

I emphasize with your need for employment, and I suppose my reveling in the joys of my unemployment doesnt help.

Got a 12 year old special blend of bushmills. you are welcome to some. (Its pretty good)

9:41 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:49 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

when looking for work, I re-write my cover letter and resume for each individual position I'm applying for using keywords contained in the listing (not a complete re-write; just adding a few keywords relevant to the ad using their EXACT words).
cover letters and resumes are not usually read, but sorted by computer using specific search terms the company is looking for. if you make that cut, theres a far better chance you will get your resume reviewed by a human.
cover letters are the LAST thing a prospective employer looks at.

if you've found any of this helpful and want to know more, go ahead and email me (listed on my profile) and I will be happy to send you more tips about job searching.

good luck!!

5:52 AM  
Blogger Shy said...

sweetpotato-
congrats on finding a job--even if it's 7 and hour. I wonder if i should include my education when i apply to hobby lobby and walmart--would looking not smart help? lol.

Rich--
nothing wrong with not working. besides, you have mom to focus on. i just need some sense of purpose and i cant figure out how to get that for myself without a job. Oh, and MMMM bushmills. will have to come by.

Carrie--Thanks for the info. i didn't know they scanned these darn things--i always imagined someone actually read them--that my excited voice in my cover letter would really speak out to someone other than the trash can liner. I've been including key words in my resume but i've been thesaurusizing (that is so not a word) them. i will stop that this instant.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Cyn said...

I have to agree with SP, it's the job market. It just plain sucks.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Shy said...

yeah, getting rejected by mcdonalds was an all time low. i've even had a few years in fast food experience. maybe i should have left the ed. part off....like you said SP, i don't want to sound pretentious--i knew want i wanted to do (teach) and i prepared for it-- i too just want a job.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Cyn. Yeah, i don't suck!

5:39 PM  
Blogger Danielle said...

A rumor went around school from 6th to 12th grade that I fucked a hammer. Fortunately, that hasn't followed me to college. Hopefully, none of my future bosses will be one of the Gonzales Twins because if I ever see one of them again, I'm going to take my hammer to their friggin' skull for making my life a living, breathing HELL!!!

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home