Sunday, January 23, 2005

More Meat Market

So I've been browsing through the dating web sites again. I'm not qualified to say if I've passed over the line dividing intrigued with obsessed but I'm willing to bet I could Bull (explicative deleted) my way through a sociological study. The people the scammers the pictures the types of ads that will hook an inquiry from a genuinely interested party. Neat stuff.

My profiles generate little traffic as I never list an income, basically advertising the fact that I'm unemployed. Half the responses I get are the Russian women looking for American men to love (rob blindly) and the other half, I can not tell if they are genuine or scammers. Either they will include just a single photo making one wonder if its something scanned from a magazine (all the tropical tank top wearing photos are suspect to a Chicagoan) or they deliberately choose a photo that shows them in the worst possible light or they have the extremely closely cropped head shot which makes me wonder just how much bigger than I am they actually are. I noticed a recent pick up in activity on one of my listings when I switched my photo to the pie wielding photo that I have on my profile here. At first I thought the black must be slimming. Then I realized that I'm wearing one of the old man's T- shirts which makes it look like I'm gainfully employed as a police officer. I went from just being a big man (BM / bowel movement) to a big man working (BMW the car you want to drive to show other people that you have more money than you know what to do with).

One thing that leaped out at me from one of the pages I was flipping through was a woman who's catchy title was, "If you have a playstation don't bother." I had to chuckle. It made me wonder what caused her to include this. Did an ex boyfriend / husband spend too much time playing video games and not paying attention to her. Did she find out to late that the man she was seeing thought a good date was ordering pizza and inviting her over to play head to head video games. Is she just anti video game? Does the mere ownership of said game system, in her mind, make one lack maturity? Is she one of those freaks who needs her partners attention 24 / 7, the one who calls five times while you are working and flips out if she some much as suspects you may have spoken to another person that day and enjoyed it. If a man was willing to get rid of his gaming system would he be allowed to keep his porn. If I play games on a computer is it the same thing? (Yes I would split that hair). Should I make a retaliatory listing like, "If you watch reality television (soap operas, lifetime or romantic comedies)" or maybe "If you have two kids by two different daddies" maybe "If you insist on talking about old relationships" and of course "If you repeatedly use the phrase, 'that's so cute!'"

Then I started thinking what kind of responses a woman would get if she posted something like "RPG Lover" (Role playing game) or "My Orc will own your elf." That would be a seriously spammed mail box. The geek men wouldn't know what to do with themselves.

More Laters

4 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

Hmmm, interesting social concept here, Rich. I may have to ponder this as my goal for world domination morphs into "I'll settle for one nice guy." I nearly had to seek out therapy to wean myself from a few of the games - Doom II was my first love, followed quickly by Duke Nukem 3D, The Sims, and Roller Coaster Tycoon. I have now beat my addiction and I'm no longer suffering from bloodshot eyes due to being up all night, most every night. I never thought this could be used as an asset when seeking men though. Hmmmm... I shall give this some thought.

12:10 PM  
Blogger portuguesa nova said...

Geez, I can't understand why you're not having any luck...with such open-ended, who knows what might happen if I give it a shot, loose criteria and reqirements such as: authentic, but no too authentic photo; willing to give tons of space to her partner so he can play video games; role-player who doesn't like girlie t.v....There's gotta' be millions of girls with that EXACT profile. Maybe to narrow things down a bit you should throw in: must be ambidextrous golfer, born during a leap year in Dutch speaking country. :)

In any case, I'm saying the same thing to you that I say to all of my friends from whom I've heard this very same story...you seem to be telling these people to reject you before they get a chance to either do it or not do it themselves. Its a perfectly understandable defensive mechanism to people who've been off the market for a while. Don't do that!

If I had any single friends who were not gay men or borderline crazy women, I'd totally hook you up. (Though, I don't know why I even make offers like that, I'm a complete failure at matchmaking.)

10:40 PM  
Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Oh my defense mechanisms have their own defense mechanisms which vie for power wih my ego that battle is usually fun to watch though in the past my ego would gain the upper hand by using the super secret weapon : intoxication.

I'm more fascinated with the profiles and the people on the dating sites than genuinely looking. I had though of putting up one that says lazy out of work wanna be writer looking for sugar momma to sponge off of. What kind of responses would that get. heh

2:58 AM  
Blogger Cori said...

I personally think you're very handsome and incredibly smart.
Why else would I be reading your blog!! I'm sure that you will bump into a no-nonsense, well read chicka chicka, who will play videos along side you! If you settle for anything less I will stop reading!! (Haven't you heard- tummy's are this seasons new black!)

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home