Lessons
So not everyone who reads my daily diatribes is in on the blog explosion directory / traffic exchange thingy. I've been fairly impressed with it so far and as you can see by the ever growing paragraph of links at the bottom of each page I've found quite a few like minded lunatics.
My only problem to date is the rating system. The scale goes from 1 to 10 with one being the worst and ten being the best. If somebody gives you a 1 you know they are either ideologically predisposed to disliking you or perhaps you may have just pushed their buttons in the wrong way. It is rarely a statement of just how good or bad your writing skills and html presentation are. Anything from say a 3 - 8 will make me sit back and review the posts available when the rating was made to see if perhaps I've been doing lazy stupid themed rants or was just generally offensive stuff. I know my problem is never profanity as I follow Kurt Vonnegut's advice that I found in Hocus Pocus about never giving anyone that excuse to ignore you. I do try to improve not only the style but the vocabulary and occasionally I look at my punctuation books. (I'm pretty random with a comma).
The 9-10's while flattering I ignore as they are usually either people trying to get you to go back and rate them equally well, or people who just don't want to be critical. That's one thing that always drove me nuts about writing workshops or any sort of group project. Everyone has to be ever so sensitive to each other's feelings. They could neither name what they liked in particular about a piece or say what it was they felt detracted from the piece or just didn't work. They would always say, "I just like it."
I put a lot of time, but not a lot of effort into my rants. That is to say I'll spend as much time as it takes to put together what seems a cohesive argument. I'll let the words flow until they hit some sort of logical end but I don't plan out what I'm going to say. I don't rewrite. I barely spell check and proofread before hitting the publish button and heading up to sleepy land. So there are any of a number of things a person could pick out about any given post and give good criticism.
So today someone rates the blog as a 4 but is kind enough to point out the reason for doing so which is, "The small grey font on the black background is hard to see...at least for these old eyes." At first I laughed because as a guy who has been playing text based games on computers for almost 10 years, I've always found white text on a black screen easier on the eye. After an hour of staring at a white text editor screen,I must walk away from the computer and give the eyes a rest. They almost hurt. I can go hours and hours witha black screen.
So then I thought about it a little more and I got a little angry. I thought. Maybe somebody needs to use a browser that will enhance the size of the characters or perhaps maybe somebody needs to use 640 X 480 resolution. To do this we right click on the desktop and go down to properties. Go to the settings tab and click on it. There will be a little slider bar there. Shove that thing all the way over to the left. Push the apply button. Wow look at how much easier it is to read things now.
I thought about doing the old retribution rating. I'm not above revenge. I am not one to deny my barbaric male nature and the need to make the snow wet with the blood of my foes. (So sayeth the Dungeon Master).
Then I got a call from my cousin and she had got into a car accident not to far from the house. So I closed all my windows and walked to accident scene to keep her company while she waited for the police to do their thing and to make sure she was in fact ok for myself and the rest of the family. Nobody got hurt but 3 out of the 4 cars will probably be going to the scrap heap.
So when I got home and thought about how absolutely petty my concerns from earlier in the day were in comparison with the reality of an automobile accident, I still wanted to do the revenge rating. I wont though. I'll just think mean thoughts and perhaps one of these days I'll write a plea to all computer owners: Please learn at least a little bit about the desktop and operating system. Please. Do it for the children.
More Laters
My only problem to date is the rating system. The scale goes from 1 to 10 with one being the worst and ten being the best. If somebody gives you a 1 you know they are either ideologically predisposed to disliking you or perhaps you may have just pushed their buttons in the wrong way. It is rarely a statement of just how good or bad your writing skills and html presentation are. Anything from say a 3 - 8 will make me sit back and review the posts available when the rating was made to see if perhaps I've been doing lazy stupid themed rants or was just generally offensive stuff. I know my problem is never profanity as I follow Kurt Vonnegut's advice that I found in Hocus Pocus about never giving anyone that excuse to ignore you. I do try to improve not only the style but the vocabulary and occasionally I look at my punctuation books. (I'm pretty random with a comma).
The 9-10's while flattering I ignore as they are usually either people trying to get you to go back and rate them equally well, or people who just don't want to be critical. That's one thing that always drove me nuts about writing workshops or any sort of group project. Everyone has to be ever so sensitive to each other's feelings. They could neither name what they liked in particular about a piece or say what it was they felt detracted from the piece or just didn't work. They would always say, "I just like it."
I put a lot of time, but not a lot of effort into my rants. That is to say I'll spend as much time as it takes to put together what seems a cohesive argument. I'll let the words flow until they hit some sort of logical end but I don't plan out what I'm going to say. I don't rewrite. I barely spell check and proofread before hitting the publish button and heading up to sleepy land. So there are any of a number of things a person could pick out about any given post and give good criticism.
So today someone rates the blog as a 4 but is kind enough to point out the reason for doing so which is, "The small grey font on the black background is hard to see...at least for these old eyes." At first I laughed because as a guy who has been playing text based games on computers for almost 10 years, I've always found white text on a black screen easier on the eye. After an hour of staring at a white text editor screen,I must walk away from the computer and give the eyes a rest. They almost hurt. I can go hours and hours witha black screen.
So then I thought about it a little more and I got a little angry. I thought. Maybe somebody needs to use a browser that will enhance the size of the characters or perhaps maybe somebody needs to use 640 X 480 resolution. To do this we right click on the desktop and go down to properties. Go to the settings tab and click on it. There will be a little slider bar there. Shove that thing all the way over to the left. Push the apply button. Wow look at how much easier it is to read things now.
I thought about doing the old retribution rating. I'm not above revenge. I am not one to deny my barbaric male nature and the need to make the snow wet with the blood of my foes. (So sayeth the Dungeon Master).
Then I got a call from my cousin and she had got into a car accident not to far from the house. So I closed all my windows and walked to accident scene to keep her company while she waited for the police to do their thing and to make sure she was in fact ok for myself and the rest of the family. Nobody got hurt but 3 out of the 4 cars will probably be going to the scrap heap.
So when I got home and thought about how absolutely petty my concerns from earlier in the day were in comparison with the reality of an automobile accident, I still wanted to do the revenge rating. I wont though. I'll just think mean thoughts and perhaps one of these days I'll write a plea to all computer owners: Please learn at least a little bit about the desktop and operating system. Please. Do it for the children.
More Laters















6 Comments:
My blog - etherian's island - http://www.jaynedarcy.us/blog/
I don't mind the rating system since I know that such a thing is always going to be abused by someone. Wasting time doing revenge rating is just silly. As I rate blogs, I rate purely on the design element, does it load up well in my browser, and is it easy on the eyes? I don't think it's fair to rate a person's content unless you've spent more than just 30 seconds reading their blog.
That being said, I am curious as to why you gave my blog a 1 rating.
Now you've made me overthink the glowing rating I was about to give you because I just like your writing style! Hmm...you'll dismiss my ten? Ok, let's just say the 10 is genuine so you can appreciate it. I think the rating system is a flaw in the program, just like grades. Gives us something to obsess over rather than the real concerns. That said, I like your blog and will participate in the ratings just because they're there and I cant resist!
KimC.
of Relaxed Homeskool
I think you've hit right on the point while I'm very want to give anyone a 10. I don't think I've run across one yet, but as for your writing skills, I'm impressed that you have a voice for writting that doesn't require spell checking or proofing.
Oh, and I'm with with the grey on black theme.
-Brad
How do you read what people rate ya?
I am bein so aussie today - goodness.
I love you richie !!! Have I linked yet?
If I see you I will rate you very appropriately.
I like your style, thats why I hit you up, early on.
You have some great ideas and some clever skills.
I think you need pictures. Pictures rock.
www.raymiinthemix.com
The ratings aren't very helpful, are they? I read them but I don't put much stock in them. I do find that the higher ratings come from people who have a blog that is similar to mine. I don't rate blogs that I have no interest in. What's the point?
Robin
ccjellybeans.blogspot.com
I stopped putting up pictures because I got lazy. Whenever I want to post a picture I put it on Everyday Absurd. Then I post here as well.
Post a Comment
<< Home