Monday, August 23, 2004

Not Only In The Movies

So somebody stole Edvard Munch's "The Scream." While people have been stealing the idea for years in their own artistic and commercial endeavors this is the first physical "heist" of this nature I've heard of in my living memory. I thought this kind of thing only happened in action packed movies with guys with English accents and women with silicon enhancements bouncing around doing impossible things while keeping up a witty patter. I mean what real collector type wants a stolen piece he or she can never display. Isn't someone going to notice a huge transaction of cash? I wonder if these guys will be caught or if this will be one of those mysteries where the painting is forever gone. Or maybe they will destroy em. 90 million dollars gone in a moment.

I think it is a real sign, of how hard it is to make it on one's own, that people are taking these desperate measures. I think we are in for a new Bonnie and Clyde era. Or perhaps some fools might see themselves as Robin Hood types and they will start hitting up banks and pharmaceutical distribution centers.

Think I'm wrong? Think of Fight Club. It was more than a movie about violence and Brad Pitt being half nekkid. It was a movie about the state of modern man's soul. In essence it was a new version of Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl . Not the same story but the same need shown differently.

If this theft goes unsolved for very long there will be a rash of these things and Court TV will be there to document it all.

More Laters

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home