Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Dear Abby Is Not News

So anyway we have had this SBC Yahoo DSL for over a year now and for the most part I am pretty happy with it. Constant connection great speed. Free Launch cast Plus. A lot of nice features that if I were actually selling it I would probably care to talk about further but as I am not, I won't. On to the thing that broke me today.

I have my start up page set to display the news when I log on. I don't watch the television very often and while I listen to the radio for an hour or so every afternoon I figure this is the best way to make sure I find out if something really important happened during the brief span I was away from a computer. You know terrorism or maybe another Illinois sex scandal. Important stuff.

So I noticed at first that at least one "entertainment news" story was include with the top four. Now this irritates me in an itch rash sort of way. I could care less what britney spears said or did or who Paris Hilton was seen with. I'm actually offended that people feel the need to distribute this drivel, but hey these people probably know their audience and one out of four top stories wasn't to bad.

Now they added a new twist: Dear Abby. It is not enough that a quarter of the news is sports (which I detest but can understand) but now if we don't have anything from Hollywood for entertainment people we add in the advice columnists. Save me Jeebus!

The latest four stories :
1. Mother-in-Law's Comments Plague Marriage
2. Why We Love The Olympics
3. German's Wary of US Troop withdrawal
4. Jacko Rolls into Court with Janet, Latoya

Now in reverse order

4. Ok I'll admit the Michael Jackson thing is actually news. It may be about a weird Hollywood type but it is also about the working of our court system. Still it is creepy that we keep that close a look at it.

3. The title on the German story make it sound like a puff piece rather than a story about how devastating to the German economy it would be for us to pull all our resources out. (I'm not really saying we should or shouldn't do it just that the story title makes it seem less than it is and thus makes it easy to dismiss.)

2. I don't like the Olympics. There story must be wrong. I wont read it.

1. Dear Abby How can I get Yahoo to filter your column out of my homepage?

I may have to delete that section off my page and just go to Google first thing every time I log on. Well after my email. And after I check all the blogs I follow. And after I check my country at Nation States. I just don't have that kind of will power. I can't do it. Make it stop.

More Laters

2 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

I don't particularly like the Olympics either, but that Bob Costas... he's yummy.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Shy said...

google is my homepage. it makes life easier...besides, 80% of the time that i turn my computer on, it's to look something up.

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home