Friday, August 13, 2004

Gay Day

It seems the news of the day is gay. I couldn't avoid the rhyming thing. I apologize. Anyway it has not exactly been a good day for anyone to be homosexual in this country. Here is an AP story on Yahoo about how the courts voided the gay marriages performed in San Francisco earlier this year. I have mixed feelings about this ruling. First of all, it is good to see a state exert it's authority over a municipality that had clearly exceeded its mandate, however the court missed a golden opportunity to say the state law defining marriage as between a man and a woman is unconstitutional. They could have used some other issue to beat up on the municipality. For me the right and wrong of this issue is very black and white, while I understand that many do not agree with me, I of course feel that my opinion is the correct one. (That being the state has no business telling same sex partners that they can not legally be a family unit. In this day and age we need to support any people who come together to better each other's lives). I just don't understand the anger and hatred behind opposing this and it is my fervent hope that the day will come within my lifetime where people will think it ridiculous that we ever stood in the way of these unions.

Again I go to AP by way of Yahoo to see the second gay story of the day that of the New Jersey Governor. I have to say that I applaud this man's resolve. If only Clinton could have been this stand up. Rather than stay in a situation that could compromise his office with scandal or blackmail he has come to the front, admitted his affair, and stepped down from office. It is sad that he can no longer serve in his office and that he has had to live a double life for so long. It makes me wonder how, in this age of intense media scrutiny, he ever got elected to his position without anyone finding out. It also makes me wonder what other skeletons are out there. Maybe the Sun Times can take a couple minutes away from finding ways to write more stories about Alderman Ed Burke and look a little more deeply at all of our city and state politicians.

Speculation: A single man could get elected to office saying, "There will be no sex scandal, no cheating. I'm a single man and I plan to stay that way. Whenever I am not actively working in my office I will use my position of power to try to get my willie wet. We can let an entertainment network follow me around to see who I'm 'dating' each week." The release would need work but I think the platform is sound.

More Laters

1 Comments:

Blogger Shy said...

yep.

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home