Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Don't eat the dried Mango, it's not as good as it looks.

I was thinking while at work. What’s the big deal with assisted suicide? I’ve heard plenty of people make the argument that we do it for our pets and I agree. If the case is terminal and the suffering is beyond humane, why should we have to endure?

After listening to Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom, I was even more convinced that we should not have to endure. Granted, Morrie made suffering from Lou Gehrigs into a journey, and tried to enlighten the world with the idea that he had the greatest opportunity in death—he was able to say goodbye to everyone. He also managed be brave about death, but still, not everyone has this quality and not everyone is able to develop this quality when faced with illness.

Is it selfish to not want to suffer a terminal illness? Is it selfish to remove yourself from the lives of those who love you? Is it right? Is it wrong? The hell if I know. I do think that assisted suicide is a more civilized way to go and would maybe give your loved ones the peace of mind that you made that choice and didn’t leave your brain stained walls for them to discover. I’ve had enough, I want out, this is when I’m leaving earth, if you want to talk me out of it or speak with me before I go, I suggest you do so before next Wednesday.

Back to the book, the damn thing made me want to bawl (but since I was at work, I sucked it up so I wouldn’t look like a friggin pansy or have to deal with anyone asking me what was wrong). It also made me laugh and brought to light some of the stupid shit that I put myself through. If you haven’t read it yet, pick it up; it’s a captivating yet quick read. Although this book is far from close to anything I’d read outside of Readers Digest, I enjoyed it enough to suggest it here.

on a lighter note, I’ve made a decision. Any time I feel the need to fart at work I must either go to the bathroom to do it or at least turn off my headphones so I know if it was or was not silent---for peace of mind. This is normally not a problem…it must be the dried fruit that I’ve been snacking on. But anyway, it bothers me not knowing if anyone heard me fart. Dried Mango, though it looks sugar encrusted and super sweet due to it's candy-orange color, is not a very tasty snack.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rich Rosenthal II said...

Dried Apricot on the other hand is very tasty. But if you eat to many you will be in the bathroom all day. Mmmmm Apricot.

1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home