What to say about Dr. Phil
Where to begin? When I first heard of Dr. Phil a few years ago, I thought he was some quack hired by Opera—some overpaid quack hired by Opera.
Then again, maybe he’s just good at what he does and was lucky enough to get the publicity from Opera and is now riding the wave and maybe even doing some of the paddling.
As promised, I listened to his audio program (also in book form) Self Matters.
Unlike the other two self-help selections I made, Dr. Phil’s Self Matters sounded legitimate. His main focus was on removing “negative tapes” from your thoughts. These negative tapes are a slew of negative thoughts that play instantaneously in your head—you don’t even know you’re thinking them, they’re just there. Throughout the program, he has many different journaling type exercises that help a person identify their tapes and where those tapes came from.
One problem with this program is that it involves a lot of work. He doesn’t tell you any “get better fast” crap or “this is what is wrong with you” jumbo. And while this is good, I can think of a lot of people who could benefit (how much, I’m not sure) from his program on a few levels who simply would not do the work involved. And, if they did do the work involved, it would be on a surface level. The answer to this? Dr. Phil groups….or something I guess.
The other problem I had with this self-help program was that it wasn’t very motivating. As I mentioned, it would require a lot of work to get through this properly/ in order to benefit from the program and there isn’t much motivation to do so…more like Dr. Phil with a whip saying “DO EXERCISE THREE!”.
Now why am I saying that? I am saying that because I’ve seen a few episodes of Dr. Phil and on the episodes where he asks the people to follow the book unit their follow up episode, they don’t do a damn thing. They rarely do one if any of the “assignments”. To me, this screams out “this shit is boring”. In fact, if I had read this program instead of listened while at work (thus not wasting time), I may not have finished it.
I didn’t take down any quotes from this one. I didn’t have the energy.
Anyway, I was hoping to get some laughs out of this and I did not. I thought that this too would be a load of crap. Most of it wasn’t. However, it would take an already motivated person to get through this program and usually, motivated people don’t really need self-help books in the first place.
And this ends my journey through self-help…at least until the next time I go to the library in search of something to listen to at work.
On a lighter note, Tom Arnold is so cool.
Then again, maybe he’s just good at what he does and was lucky enough to get the publicity from Opera and is now riding the wave and maybe even doing some of the paddling.
As promised, I listened to his audio program (also in book form) Self Matters.
Unlike the other two self-help selections I made, Dr. Phil’s Self Matters sounded legitimate. His main focus was on removing “negative tapes” from your thoughts. These negative tapes are a slew of negative thoughts that play instantaneously in your head—you don’t even know you’re thinking them, they’re just there. Throughout the program, he has many different journaling type exercises that help a person identify their tapes and where those tapes came from.
One problem with this program is that it involves a lot of work. He doesn’t tell you any “get better fast” crap or “this is what is wrong with you” jumbo. And while this is good, I can think of a lot of people who could benefit (how much, I’m not sure) from his program on a few levels who simply would not do the work involved. And, if they did do the work involved, it would be on a surface level. The answer to this? Dr. Phil groups….or something I guess.
The other problem I had with this self-help program was that it wasn’t very motivating. As I mentioned, it would require a lot of work to get through this properly/ in order to benefit from the program and there isn’t much motivation to do so…more like Dr. Phil with a whip saying “DO EXERCISE THREE!”.
Now why am I saying that? I am saying that because I’ve seen a few episodes of Dr. Phil and on the episodes where he asks the people to follow the book unit their follow up episode, they don’t do a damn thing. They rarely do one if any of the “assignments”. To me, this screams out “this shit is boring”. In fact, if I had read this program instead of listened while at work (thus not wasting time), I may not have finished it.
I didn’t take down any quotes from this one. I didn’t have the energy.
Anyway, I was hoping to get some laughs out of this and I did not. I thought that this too would be a load of crap. Most of it wasn’t. However, it would take an already motivated person to get through this program and usually, motivated people don’t really need self-help books in the first place.
And this ends my journey through self-help…at least until the next time I go to the library in search of something to listen to at work.
On a lighter note, Tom Arnold is so cool.















3 Comments:
I've seen Dr. Phil on Letterman a couple times. I'm wary because of the Oprah affiliation. He seems personable and down to earth in his interviews but I just dont see myself becoming a fan of his shows or reading his books.
I need to do a self help by Rich Rosenthal N.D. (No Degree). It will be huge. I'm not sure what it's about.
we could start a secondary site geared toward being an advice column.
Dear Rednecks ?
Post a Comment
<< Home